15 September, 2006

Two Roads


I can be flexible about things. That doesn't come easily for me, but I can. I can try new things*, experience new places and adopt new techniques; I am always happy with myself when I do that. That doesn't mean I am pleased with every result, but my joy comes from being open-minded enough to head in a different direction. Yes, I can walk down the path less taken. I did that yesterday. I have been working on a quilt, a special birthday gift for my mother-in-law. (Shhh... Super Secret!) I had an idea for an all-over quilting pattern that I knew would look incredible but I was drawn to do something simpler, easier, quicker. I almost crumbled. The old adage... "if you always do what you've always done..." echoed in my own head. I decided to go for the incredible. It's looking just as good as my mind's eye had seen it, too! I'm happy to say I took the alternate route.
If I hadn't, I never would have known... it will make all the difference!

*(The one exception: I never order anything but the Greek Salad when we eat at The Brick Oven in Clemmons, it's the BEST... really, why tempt fate?)

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost knew it in 1915. I know it today.

Life is Good!

2 comments:

Jim V said...

I wonder how often that little voice in your head that says, "What if I did this instead..." is God talking to you? We don't hear about many burning bushes these days, I think God has become more subtle.

Also, a point of clarification. Being a daddy to the owner of one of Mrs. G's quilts, I can tell you that when she says it looks nice, that translates into "This would blow the mind of any mortal."

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You are being kind. I absolutely believe that veering off the beaten path is God nudging me. As I mentioned yesterday in my "Recharging" post... I only think I'm in control! I know who is, and what's better than that?