21 November, 2006

Fly Away...

The baby bird didn't need any nudging from the nest's edge, this wounded one struck out all on his own; eager to go and make his Dad and me empty nesters once again. It was time, and I am happy for his independence. But, he's left his imprint and I do miss him. I poured too much water in the coffee maker this morning; miscalculating, for a moment, how many coffee drinkers were at home. I've stripped the bed and cleaned the bathroom where he's been for the past two weeks; I've put the sheets and towels in the washer and emptied the trash can from his room. It's almost like the accident never happened, almost. I'm thankful to have had a small part in Kyle's continuing recovery, I cherish the time he spent here recuperating and am deeply grateful to God for my son's strong will, initiative and determination to be strong and whole once more.

(Go ahead, fly away...but please be careful; and remember, you always have a place to come and rest, in the nest, should you need it.)

Life is Good!

1 comment:

Jim V said...

"I poured too much water in the coffee maker this morning; miscalculating, for a moment, how many coffee drinkers were at home."

It's never the big things that get to you when someone leaves. You see them leave, it's not like you didn't realize he was going. But then the next day, it's those half-dozen little things that make you pause and say, "Wow. He really left!"

You're such a great mom, and you've raised such an incredible son.

By the way, I would argue your characterization of your role in his recovery as "small". I'm guessing Kyle would too...