06 January, 2007

Epiphany

January 6, Epiphany.
This is the view from my kitchen window today, pots bursting with profusely blooming pansies! It's 66 degrees this afternoon and I have seen bluebirds rummaging through the pine straw looking for nesting material. My daffodils are up a good two inches.

I would typically be putting Christmas away today, but I am holding off. Quiltkeemosabe and her husband are coming for dinner tonight and the candles at the window and tree lights will add to the ambiance. They will help me to keep in mind the "real" time of year as we observe the evening after 12th night. (13th night?)

Twelfth Day is the last day of Christmas and marks the end of the Christian festivals as its name tells us, it is the sixth of January - just twelve days after Christmas Day. This day is the feast of Epiphany. On this day we remember the visit of the Wise Men to the infant Jesus. Legend holds that it is bad luck to take down the decorations after today. I'll take my chances... certainly mother nature is!

Life is Good!

No comments: