07 February, 2007

It All Began So Innocently...

...with a suggestion of cleaning out the study on Sunday. My husband thought, on the way home from church, that it might be a good idea to go through our files and generally pitch and purge. I could think of a million things I would have rather done... like have a root canal ... but, "Sure", I agreed, "why not"? I figured it wouldn't take all that long. I've never been very good at figuring things like that.
Well, the study was cleaned out pretty quickly. But then... the problem was, a LOT of the leftover papers, important papers, were all MINE! Piles and piles of them. It was a bit overwhelming. I was reminded that an avalanche begins with but a single snowflake, I had to stick with this! Every flat surface in the kitchen was covered, there was no turning back. I organized and alphabetized. I sifted and sorted and brought in an additional wastepaper basket for the overflow! This photo was taken midway through my frenzy. Today I stopped at Office Max and bought tabbed dividers. (Does anyone else love office supply stores like I do? They seem to exude orderliness. Maybe it's the promise held by the pristine binders and all the perfectly arranged bins and boxes, I imagine it's how the calm and serene people must live, in their neat and tidy, uncluttered homes.) Anyway, I was able to stop myself and come away with only the dividers. Now, my Church Council notebook is something to behold! We meet tomorrow night, I'm hoping that everyone notices how organized I've become... they'd better look quick; after all, success is but a fleeting thing and I can only revel in this glory for such a short time!

Life is Good!

11 comments:

Carol said...

Nice job with the sorting/reorganizing/cleaning. I'll do that - one of these days....

His Office, My Studio said...

I love office max and sometime just walk around not buying a thing.

I am very organized with my piles and folders. HAHA!

MB said...

Organization-lovely to look at but hard to accomplish. I do love your quilts and your found pieces. The sewing center is excellent. What a husband! MB

meggie said...

Yes! I can relate to the world of order, & neat!
When I worked in an office, I had my own space- & woe betide anyone who came into MY office & messed it up.

Why cant I live like that at home??
Oh! that's right, I am creative, so I need a little chaos- right!

Helen said...

New stationery is so full of promise!

Shelina said...

Great job organizing your paper. I love office supply stores too - and your explanation perfectly tells me why.
I have a serious paper problem. I have been trying to organize my paper for more than a year - 15 minutes a day, probably 3-4 days a week. I think I have just been able to keep it at the same level, rather than reducing it.

Ancestor Collector said...

Back in the fall, in preparation for our redecorating projects, I got on a "throw it out" craze. Week after week, I had so many trash bags at the curb that I finally decided to treat my trash men to Dunkin' Donuts. I left them a DD bag full of treats and a nice note. It's amazing how much stuff a house can accumulate in 20 years. Part of the cleaning out process was filing papers, receipts, and owner's manuals into a logical order. It all felt so good when I was done. I have one more closet that still needs attention, and I will get to it, but may have to wait until that sorting/reorganizing bug hits me again. Congrats on your beautiful Council notebook.....that's also something I should be thinking about.......

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

There must be something in the wind. I had already scheduled a half a personal day for this afternoon for JUST this purpose! The pile on the kitchen counter is at a threatening height. And that is just for starters . . . . .

Sue Seibert said...

Good for you! We've done it before, and we need to do it again, BUT always after we do it we threw away something that we really wanted...just didn't realize it at the time.

I start my stint as clerk of our Vestry on Sunday...hope I can be organized.

Beemoosie said...

My organizing skills are fleeting...hey isn't a cluttered area a sign of great creativity? Yeah, that's it! :)

CONNIE W said...

Oh,yes, I can relate, I too love office supply stores. But then, I love to organize - mind you, I didn't say I love to clean! The neatly organized binder looks super!
Conni Lu