06 September, 2007

Les Échantillons

The French language makes even the most mundane sound fancy and exotic. "Les Échantillons", the title given to this one-patch quilt, simply means "samples" in English! Yep, that's what this quilt is made from entirely, collected fabric samples! I belonged for years to the Cotton Club's fabric samples by mail plan. Every few months I received a fat envelope of four inch squares of the newest fabrics along with a newsletter; this was heaven when I lived overseas. I had both fabric to touch and felt current and abreast of the quiltmaking trends that were happening stateside. These squares accumulated! At one point I began sewing them together, no rhyme or reason; random rows. After spending the appropriate amount of time "curing" as a top-only (years!) I began quilting it this past weekend. (This may have been what prompted the long-arm query)! It's big, 76" X 86". I settled on a simple idea, very simple-- straight lines 1/4" from the seams that required no marking. I chose a 30 wt. Sulky Blendable in variegated parchment tones and an Aurifil (50 wt.) in the bobbin. I used a walking foot; it was a perfect set-up, the stitching looks great and even. I found the stiletto valuable, too. I used it as almost an extension of my finger for holding and sometimes encouraging the fabric to proceed when it didn't want to or when there was a pucker that needed smoothing before it went under the foot. Ideal!The quilting is done and I'm very pleased, binding is on the docket for today. I'll post a finished quilt 'portrait' this weekend. I heard Marianne Fons say "you can't ever finish the quilts you're not working on", or something to that effect. How true! I'm going to go and quilt up something else now...

I'm on a roll.
Life is Good!

16 comments:

Darlene said...

I love quilts like that! When they are finished they are great.

Jane Ann said...

One of my very favorite tools is that very same stiletto (besides my own Swiss Miss). Love the quilt--sometimes simple is so appealing.

Shelina said...

When I first found out about those clubs, I was very interested in joining. I didn't have the money so I didn't, but I find them very intriguing.
Your quilt looks wonderful. All those fun fabrics, and the beautiful quilting.
That is a great quote - You can't finish the quilt you aren't working on. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Laurie Ann said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!

That is quite the come-hither look from Hannes. ;) I think he wants us all to come visit so we can pet him.

What's a stiletto?

SuBee said...

I've never heard anyone talk about mixing the 30wt and 50 in the bobbin -- THANK YOU! I've always been told you can't do that because, well, I guess the QP will come after you, who knows. But it always semed like a good idea, and now you've comfirmed it. Yaaa!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sometimes simple is the best... I'm not sure why we are all SO prone to making things more complicated than they need to be (although fancy quilting well done does make my heart sing).

Congratulations on the accomplishment ~ looking forward to the "after binding" photos (and please give Hannes an ear scratch from Memphis).

Libby said...

What a fun quilt!

leigh anna said...

i do hope that you pick the right color binding, or your husband might have to go in your closet and find something that will (i believe you said) pop! :) (i still find myself laughing about that dream you said you had!)

CONNIE W said...

Great post, great quilt. Good for you!

meggie said...

I love that quilt! And I see, it has Hannes' stamp of approval too!

Faith said...

i love random multi coloured quilts where you just put things together and wait for it to happen and "BINGO!" what a surprise at the finished quilt. I had to laugh at your husband's new toy m men love playing with new toys and machines don't they! (laughs) at least it can get rid of the old leaves on the driveway.
faithx

Carole said...

Can't wait to see the finished project! Yea, I love the French language. Of course I may be bias! ;o) lol I do like the title! Another option could be "La reprise des echantillons" or Echantillon oublie! Have fun!

atet said...

I can't wait to see the final quilt -- it looks lovely so far!

Quilting Memories said...

I would love to see the quilt in person, how about bringing it with you the day we are both scheduled to "work". I have never seen one of your quilts in person and I have been told what a great job you do on them!!! Can't wait!!!! You can bring Hannes with you too, he is sooooo cute LOL
JG

YankeeQuilter said...

This will be a great piece of fabric history! Give yourself a pat on the back...

Teodo said...

I love this quilt.
ciao ciao