05 October, 2007

Boundaries

It's me-- Hannes! I'm posting for my Mom again today. She cleans our house all bright and shiny-like on Fridays and she has given me permission to use her laptop while she's vacuuming, (that hurts my ears), she says she's too busy to post today. I have a problem and I'm hoping someone can help me. As many of you know, my big human brother moved back home last Spring, that's fine with me! He holds me and pays attention to me, gives me treats, and scratches me behind my ears... just right. That's not the problem, but his cat is! Turbo has taken some getting used to. She has some really annoying habits: she drinks from my water bowl, she jumps up on the back of the sofa (sometimes when I'm napping there), and she hisses at me (that's quite rude in my opinion)! I've adapted, reluctantly, to these irritations but there's one hard and fast rule that I am having serious trouble enforcing: boundaries! This cat is one slow learner. The rules are simple, I've gone over them time and time again... the studio is for me and my Mom. Period. No cats allowed! I've barked her off, chased her away and laid down, flat like a pancake (I'm really good at that) right in the doorway to block her entrance. She still waltzes right on in. "Hello? I'm talking to you!" Does anyone have any suggestions, are all cats a bit "challenged", or is it just mine? I'm seeing some progress... but it's by inches. She has been spending hours lately quietly sitting just outside the doorway and looking in, am I getting through or is she simply taunting me? It's hard to tell, I can't trust her. I long for the return of lazy days spent napping on the sewing chair with no feline interruptions. I shudder to think that they might be gone forever, Mom says we never fully value what we have until it's gone. Thanks for reading and listening. I hope someone can help me with my problem, this is affecting my sleep.
Life is Good!
...it's even better with cat free zones...

13 comments:

Salem Stitcher said...

Hannes, what's a cat? She looks kinda sneaky and scary. I'm glad I don't have one! The big human brother sounds like fun though.

Shelby

Tanya said...

That is hilarious! I'm sure Choco would like to get together and commiserate with you. She has 4 cats to live with but she's the newcomer in the house and doesn't have much say in anything. I don't suppose you want to be friends? Choco's predecessor found cats to be quite warm and good for cold winter nights.

Faith said...

scratch and alice says we sympathise with you, cats are a nightmare, we like to chase them and tease them yet our mummy Nutbud tells us off, but we want to have fun... fun fun....
No cats are allowed in our territory though there is a cat in Amadis House and we are certainly not happy about that... huh!!!
You may grow more grey whiskers but keep telling the cat your barking mad rules.

Scratch and Alicexx

leigh anna said...

hannes sure does have an awesome vocabulary to be only three years old....either way....i understand his problem with the cat....she gets into my space too, and she really kind of scares me....and hannes' older brother finds the whole situation funny! maybe the problem isn't the cat, but the older two legged brother!

Sue Seibert said...

Well, in my opinion, that's just the way cats are! The only way to keep that cat out of the studio is to close the door! Our Turtle just listens to for that door to open so she can be in there! In stuff!!

Ancestor Collector said...

There is a common expression, "Cats rule and dogs drool", but I think at your house, Hannes, it's the other way around!!

atet said...

Poor Hannes -- I hate to say this, but, well, she's a cat. Cats, they do their own thing. She may be learning your boundaries. She may be taunting you. She may be trying to make friends -- and possibly all three. Here's to hoping you can enjoy your sewing chair again!

meggie said...

Hannes, you poor boy! Honey & I dont have to share our life with a cat, & we feel lucky. But we have heard our mum saying she would like one, now & then.
If we see the neighbour cat out on the street, we bark to warn her away!
From Leo & Honey.

Darlene said...

Hannes, I hate to break the news to you but Turbo will win. She's not to be trusted - be careful.

Sheila said...

Hannes, cats have such huge egos, it is sometimes hard for them to understand that they are not wanted in our special places.It seems she is getting the message, perhaps in time you will train her, and you might even become ...dare I say it...FRIENDS..!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Poor Hannes! You can come visit me and Little Boy - we have no pets and he would just love you to bits!

Cheers!

Evelyn

YankeeQuilter said...

MacBeth can surely relate to Hannes problem. He deals with two cats everyday. Brownies even eats his food sometimes! He finds the more he complains about Brownie the further she presses the point. He has taken to ignoring her when she really misbehaves...it does work!

Passionate Quilter said...

too funny Hannes! Please keep us posted with the 'cat' problem! :)