08 November, 2007

Isn't It Funny...

... how one thing can lead to another?
Remember those tote bags* constructed for LWR school kits? Our Youth and Family Ministries director at church had an idea about getting similar totes to keep in our narthex area loaded with crayons and coloring books; the thought being that these could be borrowed by our youngest worshipers. I volunteered to make a few, "eight" she added, "we'll need eight". OK, eight it is! She had another idea, too. Marking "Little Lutheran" on them with fabric paint. Huh? Naturally, I volunteered again; we could certainly do better than fabric paint... how about embroidering them? Needless to say, she was thrilled with that idea. One down, seven to go.

In the meantime, I'm trying to fit getting ready for retreat around my other responsibilities. I leave this evening. My plan for the sewing marathon in the mountains are more of Bonnie's String Stars*, enough to construct a quilt top. I have plenty of strings, already in their own bin, ready to go. But, I was thinking... wouldn't it be great to already have the setting triangles cut out? Oh, yeah. And the more I thought about it... if I already had the triangles cut, wouldn't it be even better to have the half square triangles cut... and pieced? And the sashing strips cut? And the teeny-weeny four-patches pieced? And the foundation papers cut into their diamond shapes? Done! I'm almost ready. It's been a lot of work but it will be well worth the preparation when I can simply sit and sew. I'm counting down the hours! Fabric, friends, and fun; isn't it funny (and wonderful!)... how one thing can lead to another?
Life is Good!
*see previous post

17 comments:

Teodo said...

Enjoy your marathon.........
.......the star in previous post is amazing.
ciao ciao

Salem Stitcher said...

The "Little Lutheran" tote is so sweet! Fabric paint!?! Ha! Didn't she know with whom she was dealing? Isn't it wonderful to have the talent to make someone's vision come true?

Salem Stitcher said...

P.S. I will be bringing large quantities of scraps and dum-dums for your enjoyment. Safe travels!

Flake said...

Don't forget the wine...

Ancestor Collector said...

Have a great weekend away! I'll be at Calumet at our annual women's weekend, and I'm leaving this morning to go up early for a day of golf. Brrrr.....it's in the 20's this morning! We have so much to catch up on. Hope to talk to you soon.

Love and Hugs!

Angie said...

Hope you have a wonderful retreat, Mrs. G! I'll be thinking about you and all of your buddies have a grand time staying up late sewing, and eating, and laughing, and talking, and sewing, and eating, and laughing......:D

Nane said...

The only preparation I have had time to make...is to stuff each project into a tote. Mom and I used to love to get new totes...because it meant a home for another UFO. We never thought of making them!! They look great.

Paula, the quilter said...

Have a wonderful retreat! Now, I, on the other hand, would have to paint the words on since my machines are so old I have no embroidery modules. Did you ever see my post about some string pieced 1930's diamonds?

Nan said...

All that prep work will definitely pay off when you get to your retreat! I'm impressed with your organizational skills! Enjoy, enjoy!!
Love your tote - so cute!

SuBee said...

Hmmmm....can you make about 65 more for our LL's? Hee hee.... it's a great idea, I'm going to bring it up at our church guild. Have fun at retreat!

Laurie Ann said...

Have a great time! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Those totes are fantastic!

Shelina said...

I think you win the Quilt Volunteer of the Year award Mrs. G.
I hope you have a wonderful time at the retreat. At the rate you're going, I'm sure you'll be coming back with a finished quilt or two.

CONNIE W said...

Enjoy the retreat!

meggie said...

Super organised! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, full of laughs & fun.

Carole said...

Lovely idea! When you mentioned paint, I also thought machine embroidery! lol Enjoy your retreat!

Unknown said...

Have a wonderful time at your retreat. Do you think you will have enough to do? It seems that your quilt was already finished before you went! Well, leaves more time to have a look at what the others are up to and do a bit of social bondind (i.e. chatting!). I am sure the quilt will look beautiful. Take care.

Tanya said...

Yes, things do lead from one to the other. I was a great fan of a book called Sidetracked Home Executives" depicting how we go from place to another leaving little piles behind us! My sewing room needs to get back on track but I could easily get sidetracked to make some bags for my Sunday school too.... Very cute