31 December, 2007

Sgt. Detecto's Day Of Reckoning

The chorus of "Independence Day" sung by Martina McBride is running through my mind this morning...
"let freedom ring, let the white dove sing let the whole world know that today is a day of reckoning let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong roll the stone away, let the guilty pay, it’s independence day"
...particularly the parts about it being a day of reckoning and the guilty paying. I'm guilty; sweets, treats, carbs... uh-huh, bring 'em on! Well, today's the day. I cannot close my eyes any longer. My husband's birthday was Saturday, he asked for a scale, the beam-type like those in the Dr.'s office. It's been placed in our bathroom and I think that this type of scale is every bit as ridiculously inaccurate here at home as they are in clinical settings! I've named his birthday request "Sgt. Detecto". Sarge stands here at attention, in the corner; ever vigilant. Nothing gets past him, not even the smallest nibble; he registers all, to the fraction of a pound. Today's the day to get out my new calendars and make the same resolution that I have so many times in years past: to lose weight by choosing healthy meals, eliminating snacks in-between and exercising more. Perhaps 2008 will yield better results on the resolution front; after all, there's someone else to answer to now.
Yep, today's the day... Sgt. Detecto told me so.
Happy New Year!
Life is Good!

13 comments:

Donna May said...

OH yes, the scales...we all relate..my due date is this friday...

fun article.

Donna may

Mama Spark said...

I asked my DD to buy us a new scale and she did, so I feel your pain! I am in the same stage of mourning all the fun of the holidays too. Back to WW and *trying* to lose the weight. I am making resolutions too and will blog about it all soon. Once the girls are gone and the house returned to it's usual state. Happy New Year!!

CONNIE W said...

I don't want to go there...
But want to wish you the happiest new year ever!

Shelina said...

Oh dear, I too have gained weight over the holidays. My scale has been tucked out of sight. I had been tempted to get one of those digital scales that check your body fat, etc., but didn't get it. Yours will certainly remind you every time you step past it. Maybe you should keep it in the kitchen!

Pam said...

Pretty daunting looking Sargent that's for sure!! Good luck with him! As we get older it is more and more important that we manage our weight and health (note - I said WE) I am going to try and climb on that scale this year as well -- enough is enough. But I think I will be dragged on kicking and screaming :((

Good luck with the Sargent!!
Happy New Year!

Quilting Memories said...

Sgt.Detecto, Yep, I know him well. He also resides at my house, has for many, many years. I really DON"T LIKE HIM very much. He lives in our bedroom, he really should move to the kitchen and stand in front of the refrigerator!!!! Then I really wouldn't like him!!!!!
Happy New Year to you and yours, give Hannes a big New Year hug from me. J

Paula, the quilter said...

Good luck with that. I've actually found something that works for me. Finally. I chopped my proportions in half, smaller plate, and eat 2 meals a day. Didn't really change what I ate because I eat well but too much. I have been steadily losing. about 1 pound a week. Happy New Year!

Cheryl said...

Oh the scale! I think I hear mine calling me! Oh well, there's always tomorrow :-)!! Happy New Year to you. Nice to find your blog.

Granny said...

Ughh! There are few reasons I can say actually justify a divorce but if my husband wanted a set of accurate scales and they were where I had to see them every day . . well, that would just be the end of a perfectly almost perfect marriage! :)

I'm with you on the nibbling, sweets, carbs and I have to do something about it.

Good luck!

Juliann in WA said...

All I can say is don't step out of line - those sgt. types can be very strict.

Judy said...

I hate those scales...but I did get on mine this morning to register the sad truth.

meggie said...

Good luck, with that mean looking Sgt Detecto!!

Tanya said...

Goodness! The same problem all over the world. I once asked my husband for a fat content measuring scale for Christmas and I have to admit I felt pitiful all year long! I'm taking your advice though and I'll try to stop snacking!