08 December, 2007

We're Off...

...to the capital city for the weekend! We'll take in A Christmas Carol with our daughter, her husband and his parents and eat dinner out with them tonight. We do this every year, it's become a wonderful family tradition. We find a different activity every time, but the schedule remains basically the same-- arrive at our daughter and son-in-law's home in the late morning, enjoy a lunch of heavy h'ors doeuvres while admiring their Christmas tree (and attempting to find the pickle ornament hidden in the branches!) and then we all head downtown. I am bringing a "sweet" this year to add to the lunchtime offerings, I decided to bring my Chocolate Mint Sticks (recipe follows). I found this adorable plate when shopping two days ago that will be perfect for transporting them; I know my daughter will love it for years to come.
I decided these bar-cookies need an embroidered hostess towel for wrapping and proper presentation; plus we need to carry out the motif, right? My trusty Bernina never lets me down!
VoilĂ !

Chocolate Mint Sticks
-filling-

1/2 C butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 C flour
1/2 C chopped pecans
-mint frosting-

1 C powdered sugar
2 TBSP soft butter
1 TBSP milk
1/4-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
-chocolate glaze-
1 sq. unsweeted chocolate
1 TBSP butter

filling: Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate. Stir in flour and nuts. Grease 8" square pan. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes. Cool completely before spreading on frosting and glaze.
frosting: Combine all ingredients and spread on cooled cake. Let set.
glaze: Melt and spread over frosting. Chill until firm.

Cut into small bars.

Life is Good!




10 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Oh my, anything with chocolate and mint is a favorite of mine. Have one for meeeee!!!

This tradition sounds so lovely. Do enjoy yourself. :)

Shelina said...

That is a nice tradition, and your addition of the chocolate sounds wonderful. That is a pretty plate and embroidery - what a nice way to present your gift! I hope you have a wonderful time.

MJMR said...

Do you ever sleep? Christmas is such a fun time of year.

atet said...

Oooh -- sounds absolutely yummy! Have a great trip to DC and enjoy your time with your family!

Salem Stitcher said...

Have a wonderful time this weekend. My friends and I would always go see A Christmas Carol when I lived in the capital and it was always a treat!

Thanks for the recipe!!

Nane said...

Not reall into chocolate, but I know a postman that would love these. And Thank You to you and your Bernina for my snow man towel too!!

meggie said...

I love that plate for the Slices! How cute is that!!
Love the cheery embroidery too! What fun.

Libby said...

I'm all for a tradition . . . particularly one that involves such a yummy sounding treat *s* Hope you had a great time!

Faith said...

aww I love the snowman and whooo chocolate and mint sounds so nice have one for me too xx

Tanya said...

Sounds delicious! And your tea towel is beautiful!

By the way, what's a pickle ornament? Reading your post reminded me thatour family tree had a pickle ornament and it strikes me as an odd thing to have when I think about it now. Is that a tradition I don't know about?