04 June, 2010

Remembering Wanda

Wanda and I spent a lot of time discussing my Hydrangeas, she knew everything about plants and flowers. A frequent volunteer in the reception area outside our church office she would often ask me how the Hydrangeas were faring when I would pass by her desk. A few years ago I asked her if she had any idea why my plants weren't blooming. I confessed to trimming them back in the late fall, she explained to me that the blooms came on the old wood and I should wait until spring to carefully trim them back. At least that's what I thought she said. Year after year, the foliage thrived but there were few, if any, blossoms. Last fall she gave me strict instructions to put my clippers down and walk away! I did as she said and left the Hydrangeas alone. Wanda passed away on April 6. This is the view from my patio last week, I know she is smiling.

Life is Good!


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Ancestor Collector said...

My sympathies on the passing of your friend with the green thumb. The elders of our church have so much to offer if we take the time to listen. :-)

I'm doing a hydrangea experiement this year as well. Did you know there are ones that bloom on new wood too? I have one, like you, which hasn't bloomed since I planted it 12 years ago. It's a beautiful plant with variegated leaves, but no blossoms. This year, I've left some stalks of "old wood" on the back to see if it will bloom on them. Problem is the old wood is unkempt and rather ugly, kind of curled up, and without many leaves, but we'll see. I've had to force the clippers out of Hubby's hands several times this spring! I bet Wanda would have known what to do with it!

Nane said...

I am using some hydrangea in my bridal bouquet...isnt it wonderful to find these folks who you can connect with about something. I formed a good relationship with an older co-worker at Hanes...all based on caring for my new fescue lawn. Yep I bet she is smiling

Quiltdivajulie said...

Lovely post ...

As a new hydrangea "parent" ~ ours are blooming this year for the first time. We had planned not to prune - now I know we will leave the plants alone.

Hugs!

Zlaty said...

Wanda sounds like a lovely lady! I am sure she is smiling down on your hydrangeas! Sorry for the loss of your friend! Hugs!

AnnieO said...

Sorry to hear of such a nice lady passing away, may she rest in peace. I've never done hydrangeas but agree yours look just lovely.

Teresa said...

I have a wonderful hydrangea as well and this year it is full of blooms. My dad helped me plant it many years ago, and I just leave it alone and get so many compliments on the plant. I have to laugh, as I have done nothing to that plant since Daddy and I planted it, except pull some kind of thorny vine out of it that wants to take over.