08 April, 2011

A Whole New World

Mom's hospital time is winding down and it looks as though going straight home won't be an option; she isn't able to get around well enough to take care of herself, or her dog, for a while. The necessary next-step is a stay in a skilled care facility to receive some concentrated physical and occupational therapy as a means to get back to her home and to independent living once again. My husband and I made some site visits today. It's a whole new world for both of us, complete with it's own language. We now understand the difference between acute and skilled care, we've learned about modalities and what that means as far as physical therapy is concerned. We've inspected rooms and interviewed staff. We made a decision on Mom's behalf, and we hope that she will be pleased; it's not been easy for any of us. The thing that makes all of this bearable is knowing that this is for the short-term; that, and the fact that her little dog can visit her during her stay! It's hard to believe how much has changed in less than week, and how adaptable one can become to the situations that God sets in front of us. Keep those prayers coming; for strength, patience and healing, they mean so much.
Life is Good!

7 comments:

LizA. said...

I hope that Mom's recovery continues to progress at a steady pace. I'm sure she will be overjoyed to see her canine companion again. Sending prayers your way.

Cheryl said...

I definitely will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Seeing her sweet dog I know will be something she will love.

Helen said...

You have my prayers, my friend. You are handling this with much grace and love.

I admire you.

Pat said...

We went though this many years ago when my mom had heart surgery. I think your biggest challenge will be to keep her spirits up -- and yours as well. I am so glad you found a place that will allow her dog to visit! So very important in her recovery!

MARCIE said...

So sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she is mending well and getting rest. I know you are a blessing to her. Sending love and prayers.

Paula, the quilter said...

This is what I have been dealing with in regards to my Auntie. I know all about assisted living facilities, a rehab facilities like what your Mom is needing, long term care assistance and now sadly hospice, since Auntie is not doing very well.

Carrie P. said...

I pray all goes well. So far our parents are doing well on their own but we have wondered what the future holds. I am so glad she can see her dog. It will bring her comfort.