30 September, 2011

Do You Really...?

I've fielded the same question lately, from friends and acquaintances who read my blog... "do you really organize your time and schedule your days the way you've spelled out in your posts?". I honestly answer "yes" and brace myself for the next question, the one I know is coming... "why?". I'm not sure how it all began, I suppose it's my nature to be somewhat disciplined; but I know what the impetus has been, over the past nine years, you're looking at her... this is Rowena. This picture sits right here on my desk where I do all my planning, she reminds me not to squander one minute, life is altogether too short. I met Rowena when we lived overseas, her son was in school with mine; she was a gifted quiltmaker (these are but two of her masterpieces she is pictured with at a quilt show) and a gentle, kind and cheerful woman. She and I were introduced shortly after I moved to Geneva, our Pastor made sure we were promptly connected, our circles constantly overlapped and I would see her often in the same places I visited! We moved back to the US in 1999, I don't remember, specifically, the last time that I saw her; but I do remember when I received an e-mail in 2002 from that same Pastor, informing me of her death. He described the beauty of her funeral and the glorious quilt that covered her casket. She had been diagnosed with cancer the year before, she suffered an agonizing period of time both physically and emotionally, she didn't accept the diagnosis with quiet resignation, she was angry with God. I can only imagine how she felt, I can relate to that lack of acceptance... there's so much more that I want/need/feel compelled to do! And so, that's my answer to "why?"... I organize, plan and schedule so that I don't waste any time. I remember Rowena and her gentle, kind and cheerful spirit; I've learned from my friend how fragile and finite life can be. I want to live my life to the fullest, I am determined that my legacy won't be a pile of UFO's! It's that simple. This is one of Rowena's enduring works, on permanent display at The Quilt Museum and Gallery in York, England; click to marvel at her creative artistry and celebrate how she saw the world and loved life!

God give thee
Time for the task,
Wisdom for the work,
Grace for the way,
Love to the last.
~author unknown

Life is Good!

9 comments:

Trudi said...

I shall make a point of seeing this quilt again, with fresh eyes and appreciation on my next visit to York!

Shakerwood said...

You're married to an engineer, right? 'Nuff said....

Impera Magna said...

Your friend was a gifted artist.... may she rest in peace.

Ancestor Collector said...

Beautiful post! I do hope, however, that you schedule time to just "be". Spontaneity can be so good for the soul and a quiet day with nothing scheduled other than to do the things you love with those you love, can be a blessing.

Unknown said...

The art quilt your friend made is ab-so-lutely stunning. Thanks for the link ...

LizA. said...

What an inspiring lesson.....I think I need to go back and re-read those posts....

regan said...

Of course, I was bawling for most of this read, and I totally understand your need to never waste any moment....they are all so precious! We have had so many brushes with cancer in my hubby's family.....each one reminds me of what I was dreaming of for future trips, projects, etc. We can let those dreams slip away forgotten, just to find them when it's too late.

Thanks for the reminder....I always seem to need it when it comes!

And thank you so much for that link to Rowena's beautiful quilt! What a work of art, with so much happening, and sweet little surprises....like those sparkling spider webs caught on the daffodils.....WONDERFUL! She was such an artist! I'm so glad for you that you knew her.

Becky G said...

Amazing quilt... and moving testimonial: food for thought, and fuel for motivation. I am so sorry that you lost a friend, but am glad you shared your recollections and her fabulous artistry. B

julieQ said...

I loved this post...I work really hard to squeeze the last ounce of goodness out a day too!!