14 November, 2012

Her First Quilt

Our daughter-in-law had Monday off, it was a school holiday;  she came here for a day of sewing and quilting lessons, she's a teacher (and a very good student). She wanted to stitch a Rail Fence quilt for the new baby using fabric salvaged from a seldom used comforter, plus some added fabric to give it new life! She sailed through the rotary cutting lesson and had a stack of blocks in no time. She arranged her blocks and excelled at the piecing and pressing steps as well. She's a natural-born quilter; I'm predicting that this, her first quilt, won't be her last!
By late afternoon our future granddaughter had a very pretty quilt top;
I love the colors, they're fresh and fun!

What was the most valuable lesson of the day?
Don't wear black when you sew!

Life is Good!

14 comments:

Janet O. said...

We keep our thermostat set a bit low for me through the winter and I wear a black fleece jacket around the house most of the time. That is exactly what it looks like after a day (or even an hour) of sewing. I have to remind myself to switch jackets when I go anywhere. : )
Looks like you have a budding quilting buddy!

Carol said...

What a darling quilt! She's definitely a quilter...she has all the threads to show for it! LOL! I have several lint rollers from the dollar bin at Target in my sewing room...I try to make sure I "roll" myself before I go anywhere, but I often show up at the grocery store with threads. People there don't understand.

quiltkeemosabe said...

Congratulations to the new quilter!!! and to the teacher!!!! Think of the fun you can have quilting together! Love the quilt

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I there ANYTHING more beautiful than a pregnant woman? I think not ... so happy for you and your family! Linda

Paula, the quilter said...

What a bright and cheerful quilt! And another grandbaby. Congratulations!

leigh anna said...

next time, tell me to smile.

lindsey said...

Beautiful..both quilt and expectant Mum!

regan said...

A real quilter ALWAYS has a few threads hanging on them! lol

She did an outstanding job....it's a very sweet quilt!

Trudi said...

Wow! What a great job! And it doesn't matter what colour I wear, ere is alway thread stuck to me!

LizA. said...

Well of course she sailed right through her first quilt--she had an incredible teacher! She looks quite pleased with herself too. I foresee many more quilting adventures together in your future. What fun.

Unknown said...

Those microfiber hand towels you can buy in dollar stores will remove those strings in about one swipe. I bought one to try and THEY work.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Wonderful bright happy colors! :) I keep a roller in my sewing room but I'm going to try Diann's microfiber cloth trick. blessings, marlene

AnnieO said...

There is definitely a quilter behind that nearly-here granddaughter! Beautiful first quilt, and she looks smitten with her first real quilt. Lovely!

KaHolly said...

Didn't she do a lovely job?