10 March, 2014

The Promise

This magnificent Amaryllis has been showing off its glorious, tall, blooming self in our kitchen over the last few days. I had all but given up on it. The bulb, container, and potting medium had been a Christmas gift. I followed the watering and sunlight instructions for the last two and a half months but the shoot crept... ever-so-slowly... up and above the rim of the pot. I wondered, out loud, if the bulb was a dud, it seemed to be taking way too long. When I had all but given up hope Mr. Goodneedle was single-handedly keeping faith. A few weeks ago I noticed that the flower bud appeared to be swelling, a good sign. My own faltering hope was beginning to be kindled, remembrances of blooming bulbs in years-gone-by helped to fan the embers. This is what greeted me the week before last when I returned from a few days away! "See", my husband pointed out, "you just needed to believe that it was going to happen". Today, that second bud is swollen to near-bursting. I can't wait to watch in wonder as it reveals itself; further evidence of the promise that awaits the faithful. During these weeks of Lent, of preparation for what's to come, I'm reminded by this show-off flower of the promise has been there all along; it's as simple as holding on tightly to FAITH!
2 Corinthians 5:7
For we live by faith, not by sight.

 Life is Good! 

5 comments:

straythreads said...


beautiful flower and wonderful post you are such a good writer. I picked up a bunch of daffodils from the grocery store they never did open even after the cutting the stems twice. You have spring in your house!

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Amen! Beautifully written :)

Janet O. said...

Wonderful analogy, Mrs. G.!

lindsey said...

This is a lovely example of waiting on God fr what lies ahead.

sandra said...

Beautiful post. You should write a book of devotions I'd buy it!! You have written some lovely things here on the blog.