09 March, 2014

VERY Old Books

We keep a bookcase in a guest bedroom full of children's books, these books belonged to our children when they were small. When the grandchildren spend the night they like to choose a book from one of the shelves, usually we open the front cover to see who the booked belonged to, 30+ years ago. Gregory especially likes to find books that were his Daddy's. I keep another shelf full of children's books in my studio, these are quilt-themed books that I have collected over the years. A favorite title from that shelf is "No Dragons On My Quilt" by Jean Ray Laury; the other night Gregory requested that book and followed me to the studio as I retrieved it; this same shelf is also where a few of my own, fragile from age, childhood books are kept. Gregory spied these two and changed his mind, now he wanted Nana's books for his bedtime stories. I told him that when I was his age these were read to me. He gently stroked the covers and looked up at me with awe. "These are VERY OLD, he whispered" (special emphasis on the word VERY). "Yes, they are" I agreed; he was very sweet, each page he turned ever-so-delicately and reverently... as if he were holding the original Bible in his little hands. To his thinking, all three books are probably about the same age!
Life is Good! 

12 comments:

Kitchener Quilter said...

Awwww. So sweet.

Pat said...

Those old Golden Books are a treasure indeed.

Paula, the quilter said...

I have kept some of my books and some of my son's books. I can't wait to share them like you have, with grandchildren. Sweet.

AnnieO said...

A whole box full of books is waiting for my grandson to get old enough! Darling little ones you have!

quiltmom anna said...

Books are a treasure whatever their age- so glad that he is loving his book experience . I went to a reading workshop many years ago now. The presenter said that kids need to have 6000 book experiences to become readers. Your grandbabies are well on their way..
Happy Sunday..
Regards, Anna

Marie said...

Love those old books and I do know how much your Grands love them as mine do too.Many hugs, Marie

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have such fond memories of my children's Golden Books.....when their own children were born I gave them to the new grandchildren. But sometimes I wish I had kept just a few to daydream over. blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Golden Books! Those are very old books that you have there. It is nice that you have those as precious memories to pass down. -Brittany

sandra said...

I have that bears book. I also have books I had as a child. My grandchildren read books I have bought for them, but I haven't shown them the ones I had. I have some that their parents had and they enjoy reading those. As far as the VERY old comment is concerned, my son used to tease me when he was about 9 or 10 and ask me about what happened in the olden days when you were young mum, you know before they invented cars! Children and grandchildren are a delight!

Needled Mom said...

We have the old books too and the grandchildren love reading them. I always love it when they hear the old story about the three pigs eating the bad wolf of the old story of Little Red Riding Hood.

Janet O. said...

Oh, that is so cute!

Unknown said...

Did you ever read Stop That Ball? I can still recite that one from memory I think:)