03 June, 2014

What Can I Use Now?

I used to love this Stick-n-Stitch product! I bought it whenever I found it at some of the large quilt shows and, at one time, had a nice little stockpile of these sheets in my supply cabinet. It was a soft, fiber sheet with a paper-release sticky backing that could be used over and over again. I would trace quilting shapes onto it, cut them out, and place them on my quilt to hand quilt* around before peeling the shape up and moving it to another block, I never had to mark the quilt and the adhesive never left any discernible residue. Somewhere along the line I learned that this product is no longer available. Online searches proved that to be true. Stick-n-Stitch is gone like the dinosaurs. Unfortunately, my hoarded supply had dwindled down to one, single, piece. Over lunch the other day with my trusted confidante and advisor, Quiltkeemosabe, I asked her if she knew of anything else I could use that would serve the same purpose. She suggested machine embroidery stabilizer, the sticky-back, tear away, variety. Bingo! I had a roll sitting right under my nose; don't you just love a dual-purpose product? I tested it out, and she was right; it works... brilliantly!
Life is Good!

*hand quilt: the act of quilting through all three layers of a quilt, 
with needle and thread, by hand... almost gone like the dinosaurs.

6 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Thankfully handquilting isn't gone just yet ... although if you visit a LQS or read a quilting magazine, you'd sure think so. :-(

Paula, the quilter said...

If you are only going to quilt around it, I was going to suggest contact paper.

AnnieO said...

Good to have friends in the know!

Janet O. said...

Never have heard of using a product like that for hand quilting designs (yes, I have been known to do it on occasion). Thanks for passing along the info. Now, can you recommend a product to replace Lite Steam-A-Seam 2 for wool applique? : )

Unknown said...

Cool idea:)

Ray Toms said...

It's a bit annoying when products cease to be made but I'm glad you have found an alternative. I have never seen this paper before, would freezer paper work the same way?