09 December, 2014

Nothin' Says Lovin'...

... like something from the oven  sewing machine!

As soon as the last morsel of Thanksgiving pies were gone I began making pies again! First, I made a strawberry pie, (my favorite all-time dessert) it was my prototype. There's good news about this type of pie; it won't add one single ounce, it's a hot pad!  During our cross country quilt shop hop  this past summer I discovered this pattern (click here) at Jackman's in St. Louis; I knew immediately it would be perfect for Christmas gift giving.  Isn't it just the cutest thing? I found plenty of dough-colored rick rack there and stocked up on it, expressly for this purpose. I was lucky enough to find some varied fruit fillings too. These hot pads will protect hands and tabletops; they're made with both one layer of batting and a layer of Insulbrite heat-resistant lining material.
Four more pies in the construction stage, two mixed berry and two blueberry; lattice is woven and ready to stitch down before trimming into a 9" circle. I machine stitched a greeting to the bottom of each pie "tin" before layering them together and binding the edges.  The fluted "crust" is added as the final step and hand tacked into place.
Five pies, stacked and ready to go. The best part? No need to even preheat that oven!
Life is Good!


7 comments:

NanaNor's said...

What a delightful gift; it looks like a fairly quick project. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful week.
Hugs, Noreen

Paula, the quilter said...

So cute! I need to make new hot pads since the ones I have are dreadfully ratty. I don't want a repeat of burnt fingers!

MJMR said...

They are just too cute!

Janet O. said...

As a pie maker, I am in love with these hot pads! SO cute!!
Nice work, Mrs. G.!

jude's page said...

Thankyou, you always have such great ideas on your blog. The challenge for our quilt show next year is a pot holder, and these are such a novel idea. I might have to make some pies too!

jirons42 said...

Sooooo cute!!

sunny said...

How Cute! I bought some blueberry fabric in Maine and I've never used it. These would be perfect!!