30 January, 2015

Squaring The Circle

"Squaring The Circle" ~ 74" X 74"

I was pretty excited when I designed this setting for a group of blocks-of-the-month in EQ7 last summer; I wasn't sure, though, that I could do it. Today I am thrilled to bits to have the top all pieced and the borders in place. I cannot wait to get this one loaded on Snowbird and commence with the quilting! My two year old granddaughter can often be heard saying "I did it"; I can appreciate and relate to that feeling of accomplishment this morning.
 I I decided to name this one "Squaring The Circle" based on a phrase; defined as follows: Try to do the impossible, as in Getting that bill through the legislature is the same as trying to square the circle. 
This idiom alludes to the impossibility of turning a circle into a square. John Donne may have been the first to use it ( Sermons, 1624): "Go not thou about to square either circle (God or thyself)."
It seemed to fit... like a square peg into a round hole.
Life is Good!

11 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, golly, it is SPLENDID!!!!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

WOW! I think this is beyond my skill level

julieQ said...

LOvely!! Just such a modern, fresh quilt...and your perfect piecing. LOVE!!

Laura Chaney said...

The top is beautiful! I hope you can share it again with us after you've finished the quilting.

Janet O. said...

Absolutely stunning! I can't imagine have come up with a setting like this. So impressive!

Karen said...

This is fabulous!!

AnnieO said...

Always exciting when creative plans work out! Congrats on a true original :)

cityquilter grace said...

very modern....spectacular design work....well done!

Unknown said...

That looks amazing! And they are all pieced?

straythreads said...

circling the squares is a a stunning setting for those blocks!! and love the border. curves really aren't that hard

Tanya said...

You've designed a winner for sure!