21 February, 2015

Creating Order

I reorganized the pantry yesterday, creating order out of what had become a drop-off zone for almost anything even vaguely kitchen related; chaos reigned in there. The floor was stacked with odds and ends as well as small appliances and the leaf for the kitchen dining table. Mr. Goodneedle suggested adding an additional shelf, around the top, to free up the floor space. It was a brilliant idea!  He took care of his part; but I knew, all along, that my charge would be to take everything out and not only rearrange the pantry into an orderly space but to cull each unused or unwanted object and toss every outdated food item. A task that seemed monumental to me as recently as three days ago was finished before lunchtime yesterday; today I am reenergized whenever I open the door. This photo represents much more than a neat and orderly pantry though; it speaks to me about discipline. Ever since my shoulder began aching my daily life has slipped into a disorganized mess. Yes, I have been keeping up with projects and deadlines but there's been no order to any of it; it's all been hit or miss. On Fridays, my self-imposed cleaning day, I've done what I could and left the rest... the cumulative effect of that behavior has not been ideal. Our Christmas dishes remained in the cupboard because I simply didn't want to even think about lifting the stacks of plates and moving them. I didn't realize at the time that the shoulder pain was ruling me. The last straw came this week when I left the laundry basket on top of the dryer and refused to carry it back to the bedroom, I knew how much that would make my arm ache if I did. Suddenly, I looked at what had become of my otherwise orderly life and laughed. Why was I being so stubborn; where was that discipline that I so desperately needed?  After the pantry re-do, with two doctor's appointments behind me and a schedule of physical therapy stretching out in front of me I happily took back the reins to my life! I can do this. I realigned my priorities and will follow prescribed directions to the letter. Today the house is clean; dusted and vacuumed like it hasn't been for months. Oh, and the Christmas dishes are safely stowed for next Christmas in their designated cabinet. I've created order in my own little nest once again; as well as in my mind and spirit, it's all good.
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Angie said...

I desperately need to do this with my whole house---and soul...

Janet O. said...

Good for you! I would do well to follow your example. My current physical therapy seems to be ruling my life and I am not keeping up.

Sherrill said...

WOW!!! Now that is a pantry! So envious. And glad you finally got your groove back! HA

Marie said...

You are an inspiration to me, thanks, I have really let it go!
Many hugs, Marie

45th Parallel Quilter said...

WOW ... I agree with Angie ... I need to get a grip on this "winter slothing" and take my life back!! My sewing room is absolute chaos to the point that I don't want to go in there!! Many items to be gone through for donation to charities. I know my soul and spirit will feel better once it gets underway ... I'm making a list right now and holding myself accountable!! GREAT post. Thank you. Linda

Quiltdivajulie said...

Chronic pain is insidious . . . just ask me how I know.

Congratulations for taking back your mo-jo!!

Paula, the quilter said...

I have been weeding out things in my house. When I stumble across something that is no longer useful to me I put it in a waiting donation box. When the box is full I make a trip to the thrift donation. Good for you for taking back your life.

Laura Chaney said...

Gold star for taking control of things! Your pantry looks great, and I know it's a great feeling to look into a room and see tidy organization!