11 February, 2015

Get A Grip!

I had considered adding a set of Side Grips to my backing fabric while quilting at the longarm; I thought that they would be useful particularly when I'm quilting from the back of the machine, following a pantograph. Acting on the recommendation of a friend I ordered a set on Saturday and had them yesterday; they are positively wonderful and now I wonder why I waited so long! Let me explain how they work and why they're so great: with a quilt loaded the backing fabric is pulled taut by two side clamps on each side, usually some degree of slack occurs between these clamps and, when the quilter is looking down at the pantograph, even the most careful quilter often will bump up against one of the clamps with the bed of the machine causing unsightly "hiccups" in the stitching... NOT the best situation at all; approaching the edges has always struck fear in this quilter.  Not anymore! (Watch the hyper-linked video, above.)


Now, with the Side Grips firmly attached to the backing there's no slack and no clamp bumping whatsoever. In fact, when the machine bed comes up against the edge of the Side Grip it runs smoothly right along the side; the clamp is back and away pulling the strap that comes from each side of the Side Grip... an invention that is both simple and brilliant at the same time!  No more hiccups.
"Salvaged Stars and Stripes" is quilted and off the rails this afternoon. 
After getting a grip (actually a set!), I'm one fearless quilter!
Life is Good!

5 comments:

Laura Chaney said...

Very cool! It look me a minute of looking at the photo, but once I saw it it made so much sense. Happy to see you've found something small that makes your life a bit easier!

AnnieO said...

Aren't we glad the engineer and math-minded people of the world figure these things out? Glad it's all smooth now and no more anxious moments on the edge :)

Janet O. said...

Glad that is all worked out. : )
I love this quilt--great job!

cityquilter grace said...

isn't it awesome how much happiness a helpful tool brings? love the r/w/b quilt!

LizA. said...

Sigh -- I know that "bump"....guess I need to look into getting a set of these......