07 April, 2015

For The Birds



I hope you all had a wonderful and blessed Easter. Our weekend began on Saturday morning with an eventful sighting... this spectacular Pileated Woodpecker, in the woods just behind our house! I've heard him for a while, but I had never seen one; my "life list" grows longer by one. He hung around for a while, enough time for me to fire off a few shots; albeit through the window, but they're respectable nonetheless. Just when I was beginning to think that... just maybe... there was a construction worker with a jack hammer working out in our woods, "Woody" came into view!


We've owned this Finch feeder for awhile. We have plenty of Goldfinch at the feeders; but, for some reason, they haven't been frequenting the specialized thistle feeder designated just for them. Up until now they have seemed to prefer sharing the sunflower seed feeder with the Cardinals. For the life of me I couldn't figure out a way to lure them to the thistle feeder. Mr. Goodeedle had a great idea, a stroke of genius really, he painted the "roof" John Deere yellow and hung it back in its original position... that's all it took! Now it's standing room only for the Goldfinch, they queue up on the post and in nearby tree branches; suddenly, the yellow roof feeder is the most popular bird restaurant in town, even with only one, solitary item on the menu.
Life is Good!

6 comments:

Gloria said...

We have had two Pileated Woodpeckers "stop by" and they are beautiful birds, aren't they! I was surprised at their size.
Gloria
gyates625@bellsouth.net

45th Parallel Quilter said...

We have several Pileated Woodpeckers living on our property and while they are interesting they do a LOT of damage to trees. That is very interesting about painting the feeder yellow and the finches being attracted. Wonder what color I need to paint my feeder to DETER the squirrels? LOL

Laura Chaney said...

Watching the birds (and other wildlife) is one of the things I miss about living in the country in the midwest!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Gorgeous !!

Funny about the feeder roof ...

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

Pileated are so much funto watch! From one of the picture books I read to my students I learned they can live up to ten years and make 30 nesting holes. I reccomend a suet feeder. Woodpeckers love them . My dad has one hanging off his two story deck and they come there all the time.

Janet O. said...

Who knew goldfinches would only feed at a golden roof? : )