02 May, 2015

Crazy Little Conversations

Crazy Little Conversations In The Attic ~ 39" X 57" ~ 1998
Nancy, who blogs near Philadelphia, posted yesterday about some spider web blocks, entitling this clever entry: "Thinking of Wilbur".  I left a comment stating that I had a quilt with the words "Some Pig" quilted into a spiderweb. Her response: "I’d like to see that there Some Pig quilt of yours", prompted today's post.  This quilt is seventeen years old, it's a visual interpretation of word-play run amok! The title comes from CRAZY-patch construction of LITTLE CONVERSATION printS IN THE ATTIC windows setting.  Once the blocks were constructed I thought about literal conversations that might be had in an attic (reminiscent of the old $25,000 Pyramid game show... "things that might be said in an attic!") and added my own: "was I ever able to fit into this?", "what are we saving this for?", "you used to wear this?", "it has to be  up here somewhere", and "last one down turns out the light!" are all found in appliqued thought bubbles within the blocks.

Elaborating on the attic theme saw the raising of the "roof" to incorporate an actual attic space complete with a pair of mice; who happen to be playing, of course, (what else?) Cra-Z 8's!
I imagined there to be spiders in my attic, spiderweb quilting (by hand!) became the obvious choice. You can make out the words "some pig" just below the light bulb in this photo detail.
And there she is, the author of those words, Charlotte herself!
I'm grateful to Nancy for her recent thoughts of Wilbur, because of them (and her e-mail request) I was reunited with an old friend today... she's still looking pretty good after all these years and has reminded me of all the fun that quilting is, and always has been!

Life is Good!

10 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

LOVE it!!!!!

Paula, the quilter said...

How fun to revisit an older quilt! You have been putting words on quilts for quite a while, haven't you?

lindsey said...

Wow so much beautiful work

Jacqueline said...

Crazy cute.

Carole in Nebraska said...

Too cute for words. What an imagination you have. Thanks fro sharing.

Janet O. said...

This is SUCH a clever quilt, Mrs. G. I couldn't wipe the silly grin from my face as I went from photo to photo and read your explanations. I'm glad Nancy asked to see it. What fun!

Teresa said...

A fun quilt with all the special touches

StitchinByTheLake said...

This is absolutely adorable - what fun! blessings, marlene

LizA. said...

Fun, fun, fun. I love quilts like this with lots of little details....just makes you want to keep looking and looking.....

jude's page said...

A terrific quilt, lots of fun things to look at, thanks for getting it out to show us.