19 May, 2015

Sunshine and Shade...

...and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

I'm mixing it up this year. Admittedly, I am a creature of habit. Every year I buy the same plants, put them in the same locations... and expect the same wonderfully blooming results that I acheived a few years ago. This hasn't been happening lately, but up until this year I had been too stubborn to understand why. So, before I went plant shopping last month, I made note of the sunshine and shade patterns. There is a LOT more shade around our house than there used to be. I suppose that 14 years' worth of growth on the trees that we planted when we moved here, in 2001, can do just that! The potted Geranium on the once sunny step and the Iris in the bed under the spreading dogwood just weren't happy anymore; apparently, they don't believe in the "bloom where you're planted" adage. I now have a Dragon Wing Begonia potted up on that same step now; it's so pretty, even this creature of habit can learn to like something new. My Dad helped me to transplant what had become a foliage-only Iris to a new, brighter, location in the yard; hopefully the fruits of our labor will be evident in blossoms next spring. Hosta have replaced the flowerless Daylilies alongside the driveway where the sun never reaches anymore. Because the deer aren't choosy and like to eat both the Hosta and the Daylilies equally as much, the work required in maintaining the deer preventative is the same. Last week, armed with what I thought was the deer spray, my husband caught me spraying all around... and on... the Hosta with Round Up! I almost croaked when he pointed out my error. Quickly he came to the rescue with lots and lots of water, soaking the plant and surrounding soil. I'm blaming this mistake on a head full of congestion, a person can't be held responsible for operating under the influence of pollen. So far, so good; I haven't lost any plants yet, fingers crossed. So, back to my original subject:
sometimes changes can be a good thing, even for this creature of habit. I'm appreciating showy and colorful new flowers in old locations; I'm glad that I paid attention and chose to mix it up this year, and it wasn't nearly as scary as I had imagined. Watch out, status quo, you're not as safe here as you used to be! What glories might you be missing out on by staying mired in the same old rut? I've pulled myself up and out of mine and the view up here is simply spectacular!
Life is Good!

4 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Round Up?? Oh no! Thankfully your hubby caught it quickly ... it sounds like his overwatering did the trick. Whew!

Janet O. said...

My luck is that when I intentionally use Round Up on weeds, the rains come and cancel out my efforts. Quick thinking on your DH's part. Hope the Hosta continues to survive!
Lovely begonia. Don't think I have seen that variety before.

Anonymous said...

Very good advice and I'm going to take it to heart!!!!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

We have a shady yard and I'm trying to plant things that will enjoy living there ~ my problem being that I am attracted to sun loving plants! I love iris, wisteria, azalea, rhodys and lilacs ... all which do better in the South (more so than in Northern Michigan). Perhaps if I put them in a protected area with some sun they will give me some results ... I might just have to try ;-) I'm shaking it up ... just like you ... watch out!! Linda