29 June, 2015

Fighting The Funk

Along with the warmer temperatures and humidity come unpleasant, funky odors to the towels in our house. I always run towels, be they kitchen or bath, in the hottest wash water available on our machine. However, that doesn't always deodorize mine in the summer months. I long ago abandoned colored bath towels altogether, precisely so that I can bleach them as needed, that works every time! The kitchen towels are another matter altogether, I can't bleach them without ruining them. I tried this method last week and it worked like a charm: I presoaked all of my kitchen towels overnight in a white vinegar bath. The next morning I wrung them out and transferred them to the washer along with regular detergent and 1/2 C baking soda (I have a front-loader and just tossed the baking soda on top of the towels). I laundered them on the hottest water setting; et, voila-- out came the freshest towels imaginable! I am pleased. Do you have any lingering funk to fight? Take up arms; you probably already have the weapons on hand, go forth and be ruthless!
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent suggestions!

Janet O. said...

Vinegar is a great tool against odors, and baking soda is a go to weapon against so many things. But I never would have thought to use them in my wash like this.
Pillowcases are my nemesis. I'll have to give this a try.

Paula, the quilter said...

I use vinegar in my wash instead of fabric softener. I can't handle the scents of laundry detergents and softeners and found that the vinegar works for me.

NanaNor's said...

This was a great tip-I use vinegar in my wash for both sheets and towels. Also I use Boraxo to brighten things up. I've used baking soda, dishwasher powder and bleach before to really brighten dull whites. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs, Noreen

cityquilter grace said...

good to know....

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Didn't know this ... but now I do ... always felt my kitchen towels were never quite "clean" enough even though, like you, I would use the hottest water possible. Going to give this formula a try ... thanks for the info! Linda

LizA. said...

Thanks for the tip. Learn something new everyday......

Humidity isn't a problem around here thankfully and I certainly don't miss those hot, humid summer days of my youth.

Laura Chaney said...

Great tip! I love the power that some of our regular kitchen items (like vinegar!) can have.