03 November, 2015

Standing The Test Of Time

I adore wrist watches, I've collected many over the years. These two are the latest additions to my watch wardrobe, they're not new; they've stood the test of time. We lived in Europe a few decades ago, specifically in Geneva, the watch capital of the world! One of my favorite shops downtown was the Swatch shop! At that shop I found many seasonal watches, including these, which were gifts to my mother-in-law at that time. This past summer she cleaned out her jewelry boxes of things she no longer wears and asked me if I would like to have these. Would I? Did she have to ask? The Halloween watch was especially exciting because I had owned one previously and had worn the band out completely, the timing was perfect. I will enjoy wearing the Mother's Day watch too, it is unique. When my husband traveled for work  he would sometimes surprise me with a new, colorful watch that he found while he was away; besides being fun to wear, each one has a special meaning to me. I heard recently that watches are going the way of dinosaurs, young people today don't wear them because they have the time on their omnipresent phones. I was surprised, and saddened, to learn that. I look forward to choosing my daily watch, for me it's like deciding which shoes to wear for the day.  Looking at my wrist every day not only informs but delights my heart.

Marking time by whatever means does little to slow it down though; today our grandson, Gregory, turns 5 years old! Tick-tock, tick-tock... time marches on, another milestone to add as a souvenir, just like my growing collection of watches.

 At least we gained one hour on Sunday, 
every little bit helps!
Life is Good!
 

9 comments:

AnnieO said...

Isn't it funny, I woke up this morning thinking I need to get my wristwatch fixed! It's a Swiss Army one I stole from my husband :) I think your take is correct, using watches as accessories, and don't believe watches will disappear for just that reason. Looking at any fashion magazine you'll find plenty of ads for watches!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I quit wearing a watch long ago - but I think it is time to pull my favorite Disney watch out of the drawer.

Nane said...

I have stopped wearing a watch too but I still have the Seiko I bought with my first paycheck from Whataburger when I was 15. All the color is rubbed off the band since I wore it on my left arm and write left handed but I still have a couple Swatch's too!

Janet O. said...

What a fun thing to be able to have a variety of watches and express yourself with which one you choose to wear each day.
I no longer own a watch. My skin reacted to most any I tried to wear, so I finally gave up trying. : )

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Funny you would have posted this today. Just last night I was saying to my daughter that I would like to buy #1 grandson (soon to be 10) a watch for Christmas this year!

Tanya said...

“Teach us to use wisely all the time we have.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭90:12‬ ‭

Oh dear, what with book stores and camera shops and post offices going by the wayside because of the digital age, now I have to worry about watches too! I remember my father telling me digital clocks (numbers, no dial) would never become popular because people needed to see the hands to compute time... I guess he was wrong!

LizA. said...

I admit, I depend on my phone more and more and seldom wear my watch anymore.

Paula, the quilter said...

Timely post!
I drain the battery on a watch so fast that I need to buy stock in a battery company because I go through them so much! That said, I recently dug out the two wind up watches that I own. One needs a new band and the other just wouldn't work. Do you know how hard it was to find a watch repair shop? I took the watch in and it took 8 weeks to get fixed because they were so backed up. I don't always have a pocket to carry my phone so I have started wearing watches again.

Jean said...

Seems to me maybe you need to start a new tradition, and start giving the grandkids watches. I know that since we have been going on one on one dates with our grandkids our oldest granddaughter loves that we give her a charm for her charmbracelet to remind her of our dates together.