12 February, 2016

DeRailed, With A Bonus

DeRailed  ~ 64" X 80"
All the blocks are ready and on the design wall, I've renamed this one DeRailed. Originally begun to jump-start my piecing, and called "Rustic Rails", this was a fun and productive diversion that has aided in breaking through my piecer's block and clearing the deck for other projects. Those of you who know me will understand that I love precision and rules; I like plannning and control of the project. This quilt isn't about any of those things, it's all about letting go! The pattern comes from Sujata Shah's Cultural Fusion Quilts book, the contents of which include patterns and inspiration for 15 free-form block projects.  DeRailed has actually put me back on track. The freedom found in piecing large blocks combined with an unrestricted cutting approach has been liberating; just what I needed! I hope to get back to a few UFO's here shortly, in more of my typical style. In the meantime, DeRailed has yielded yet another  side benefit: a bonus quilt top! Sewn L-E style while assembling the rails this charm tumbler, TMX2~#2 , will most likely be loaded and quilted next. It joins its sister quilt, TMX2 (The More The Merrier), completed last summer. They are both destined to become car quilts.
 TMX2~#2  56" X 68" 









Take a lesson from me. Are you on track? Does your piecing seem stale and uninspired all of a sudden? If so, you might want to try something completely new and unpredictable. Shake it up!  I did; and, for me, it's made all the difference!
Life is Good!
                                                             



6 comments:

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both of these quilts look great. I agree that starting something new always helps shake things up, especially if it is different from your "normal." I plan on piecing together my rail fence blocks today.

Millie said...

These rail fences from Sujatas book are just wonderful. I love this.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a marvelous post -- great rail fence quilt, new process, and a bonus top, too! Love it ALL ....

em's scrapbag said...

Your quilts look great! I love free form piecing! It rejuvenates me also.

jude's page said...

Love your quilt, and your name for it is very clever.

Janet O. said...

Derailed has a wonderful look! It is a fun block--lots of movement--and the color scheme is warm and inviting.
And who doesn't love a scrappy tumbler quilt? : )