12 May, 2016

The Auditions Continue

Last week I posted photos with 121 blocks up on the design wall from Rosemary Youngs' The Quilt Block Bible. I auditioned indigo as well as red sashing strips between some of the blocks to try and decide how I will set this quilt; I asked for your opinions, you offered them and I am grateful. Among one suggestion was a soft gold color. The above photo shows twenty five blocks sitting on top of a yarn-dyed linen fabric, the color is called "leather"; I absolutely love this piece of fabric, but it it right for the sashing between these blocks?  I am coming to you again for your opinions.
In all honesty, the fabric pictured in the top photo isn't entirely different from the color of my design wall; which means, that the overall effect would look much like this when it's all said and done. Thoughts? I've mocked up a section with the soft gold sashing and indigo cornerstones as one more option; yay or nay? Weigh in and let me know what you think.
Life is Good!

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Adding the indigo cornerstones makes all the difference. I vote yes . . .

Janet O. said...

The color doesn't click for me, if I am going to be brutally honest, but the cornerstones do help make it a bit more alive. It seems to blend too much with all of the background fabrics. I would be inclined to audition a soft (read muted) blue or green to give it more depth. My two cents aren't worth much, but there you have it.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Seeing it changes my opinion. It's too soft of a gold and as Janet said, it blurs with the backgrounds. A brighter gold?

Anonymous said...

Yea for the cornerstones! I also like Nancy's suggestion of trying a brighter gold.

straythreads said...

I liked the red sashing from last week, how about the red with the gold corner stones or try red cornerstones with the linen fabric and throw in a few indigo cornerstones just for fun. I usually try every variaton of every possibility when I get to the sashing Have fun

LizA. said...

I have to agree -- too soft, blends in too much. But, I do like the cornerstones.....

Kathryn said...

The three blocks in the upper left corner all have a dark blue in them. Compared to the other three corner blocks which stand alone in color, maybe you might want to consider moving one or two. I love your blog and am learning so much. Your grandchildren are delightful. Thanks for sharing.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Depends on the statement you want to make. This would work if the look you seek is as an "easel" for all the blocks and the colors they bring to the party on their own. LOVE the cornerstones regardless of which color you choose. I agree with Janet O on trying a muted blue or green. You might be very surprised. Temecula Quilt Company had a sampler sew along last year ... small blocks and they chose a blue as the background ... I didn't think it was going to work but was REALLY surprised at how it turned out ... after seeing it I couldn't imagine it NOT being set with blue. It's going to be an amazing quilt! Linda

Rosemary Youngs said...

I love your blocks and I'm so glad that someone pointed your blog out to me. I'm very honored when I see someone who make blocks out of my books . I love cornerstones but I like yours without the navy cornerstones. You probably will get 100 different opinions, that's the best part about quilting , the sharing that goes on. Thank you so much for posting your beautiful blocks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. G. I commented on your lay out and sashings and said I liked the caramel colour, I LOVE the caramel colour with the corner sashings, makes the blocks 'pop' but does not overwhelm them and you intricate piecing is showcased. This will be one beautiful quilt when done, and whatever you do, it will be fantastic. Rieann in Western Australia.