23 July, 2016

Red Stars and Painted Rocks

 Red is my favorite color. When given the choice between red, blue or gold this year as the the primary selection in my LQS' Lemoyne Star block-of-the-month program there was no second thought on my part. Red it is. This month we were to construct four six inch blocks to combine as one. I decided not to join mine together as the overall layout of mine will include many other red and white blocks that I have accumulated over the years; they're not all twelve inch blocks either. I am eager, one day, to combine those orphan quilt blocks with these, plus more, into one grand red and white pièce de résistance.  

We had our youngest grandchildren for an overnight stay this week; rock painting was a popular, impromptu, activity. Lynnleigh chose to decorate many rocks.
Gregory chose to concentrate on, and embellish, only a few; he was much more exacting in his technique. 
 He explained what he was doing, and why, as he worked. His rocks were special "police car" rocks. 
Gregory carefully rinsed off his brushes between colors too. Lynnleigh preferred color blending on hers.
When his sister took a nap Gregory quietly worked in workbooks. He explained that he needs to be prepared for Kindergarten. Sigh. It won't be long... only a few weeks before that happens for real. He wants to be ready. Nana never will be.
Life is Good!

6 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Love those blocks. Your grandkids are so cute. I won't be ready for my grandson to start preschool which he might be doing soon. He will be going 3 days a week.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Rock painting is SUCH a fun activity - grands or grown-ups. Such concentration on those little faces.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I remember doing this activity with my now 30, 28 and 25 year old nieces and nephew ... and that was just yesterday! Your grands are BEAUTIFUL and I love with you post about them. Thank you for sharing ;-) Linda

LizA. said...

I'm right there with you on the red & white -- but purple & white might have been a top choice also. Love the difference in how the two approached their painting. I see an engineer future for Gregory and I'm betting it won't be long before Miss Lynnleigh will be wanting to arrange quilt blocks.

Paula, the quilter said...

Both activities are just plain fun! My grand-daughter, Adaline, will be having her first overnight with grandma and grandp this Saturday. I can't wait!

Carolyn said...

They grow up too fast. Enjoy all the time you have with them.