11 October, 2017

Saying Good-bye

Saying good-bye is never easy. On Sunday we did a final cleaning of my in-law's home. The closing was earlier today, it now belongs to a new, young family. It's not hard to clean out an empty house; unencumbered by furnishings it's easy to make those final passes with the vacuum cleaner and dust cloths; that's the easy part, the head part-- but, when it's the home your children grew up in, celebrating family milestones and holidays, it is almost unbearable for the heart to let it go and walk out the door for the last time. I couldn't help but stand still for awhile and recall how many years the Christmas tree had held center stage in that very bow window and how many countless family celebrations had been observed, once upon a time, around the dining room table that stood beneath that chandelier. I am grateful, though, filled with humble gratitude that this home served its purpose for over four decades. Designed by my father-in-law in 1976, it was home-base for my husband's family for all of these many years. Thanks be to God, it remained the home of my precious mother-in law for as long as humanly possible, her final wish.  I rejoice today to think of a new family, one with young children, embracing this home as their own; filling the cavernous rooms once again with joyful voices and happy laughter. I wish them every blessing that this home has been bestowed upon us: happy homecoming!
Life is Good!

9 comments:

quiltmom anna said...

Leaving a home - especially one of long standing is always emotional. I know when we left our house of 35 years last fall I found it very bittersweet. Our new house is lovely and is starting to feel like home but I found it a large adjustment. I loved the location of our old house and enjoyed all the special nooks and crannies that it had. We went there as a newly married couple without a child and left still married ( LOL) and with a grown married son and daughter in law and lots of animals.
Wishing the new owners of your in laws house lots of great memories in the house.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Quiltdivajulie said...

Mixed emotions to be sure. You and Marc deserve a big break now after all the work and emotional investment needed to complete that closing.

Quilting Babcia said...

So difficult to be sure, but yet joyful knowing the shouts and laughter of children will fill that home again. I think your mother-in-love would be thankful for the blessing this house will bring to that little family.

cityquilter grace said...

a home is never just a house...it may have transitioned...like we do sometimes...to another family for new memories, but yours will be with you forever...

Janet O. said...

I tend to become very emotionally attached to the places where good memories were created. The first apartment we lived in after we were married was our home for over 6 years and I recall how hard it was to leave it. I can only imagine the memories you made within these walls for so many generations of your family. I'm sure there were many emotional things about this process.

Little Penpen said...

Awww, what a beautiful home. You mother in law would be so happy to know that children will be occupying the home, I'm sure! ((hugs)) to you!

julieQ said...

Melancholy, but magical memories too...hugs!!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I recall similar sentiments when we moved our mom from her home of 60+ years. It was extremely emotional and difficult for all involved. The home was torn down by the new owners (a forest preserve district) but we can never fail to drive by the empty grounds now whenever we're in the area. The memories are still there ... the love that was present all those years can still be felt. We feel blessed to have had such a haven for so long. I remind myself of my late mother's wisdom ... it's not the house that makes it a home ... it's the love inside that does. God bless! Linda

Marie said...

Beautiful home and such sweet memories! Hugs, Marie