09 September, 2008

Spending Time With Fannye

This little beauty of a quilt top, a Bear's Paw, (71" X 82") made its way home from last night's Quilt Guild meeting with me, I was the high bidder when this was auctioned off as a Guild fund raiser. The top was sewn by Fannye Hall. Fannye was thought of as the matriarch of our Guild, a founding member, a quilt teacher to almost every quilter that I know here, a friend. Fannye passed away almost three years ago; suddenly, unexpectedly. Her daughter donated a few quilt tops to the Guild that her mother loved so dearly for the express purpose of raising funds in Fannye's memory. I am so pleased to have captured something tangible to remember Fannye, I will enjoy quilting this and reminiscing. I'll close with comments that I submitted for a memorial tribute to Fannye that was displayed at NC Quilt Symposium in 2006. Thanks, Fannye, for always expecting excellence from me; I remember, rest assured, I will quilt and bind this to the very best of my ability! "I was a brand new quilter. Not knowing any better, I entered that first quilt; with it's wavy borders and puckered, gathered binding into our Guild's show! I worked at that show; helping to scribe for the judges and, hopefully, to learn a lot. I heard one of the judges remark about my quilt, when it's time came to be judged: "someone needs to show this woman how to put on a binding and turn a corner". I dutifully wrote down, "binding can use improvement" as directed by the judge. I hoped no one noticed my pained expression, I was working hard to guard my own anonymity. Fannye was in the room at the time, folding quilts and stacking them for hanging. At lunch time Fannye requested that I sit beside her, she quickly and efficiently showed me right then and there how to bind a quilt and turn a sharp, square corner at the same time! I was amazed that she had known the quilt belonged to me! Fannye knew all, and was always quick to share her skills and knowledge with all of us; that we might be better quilt makers. We became friends from that day on. I learned a LOT from her. I think of, and thank, Fannye with every single quilt I bind to this day! Fannye is deeply missed, I am happy to have known her and will always treasure her kindness."

16 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Lovely quilt, lovely post, lovely woman.

Nane said...

Are you sure Fannye wouldn't have wanted Sundance to quilt my top too? I am glad we all were able to have a little bit of Fannye to keep as our own.

Quiltdivajulie said...

How wonderful...

What a special treasure you've shared with all of us.

Susan said...

What a wonderful story! God bless all of our quilting mentors!

Quilting Memories said...

A lovely tribute to a lovely lady ( I'm sure, I never met her) from a lovely lady.....

Quilting Memories said...

I must go back to your in town retreat post.....Just one question, Where is Quiltkemosabe's shoes.....YEP, I noticed...LOL

Salem Stitcher said...

I've just about decided the one I got to take home needs to be hand quilted. (Did I really say that out loud!?)

Teresa said...

Fannye sounds like a truely lovely lady and I know you are happy she came into your life. There is no doubt that the binding on this quilt will be pucker free and have sharp corners.

quiltmom anna said...

What a nice post- we all need mentors in our lives and I have been fortunate enough to have two women who have helped shaped the quilting part of me.
Your Fannye would have been a lovely person to know -she obviously loved quilting and quilters. How nice that you have a beautiful quilt of hers to remember the ways she touched your life.
Regards,
Anna

Libby said...

What a lovely tribute and a very special quilt to treasure *s*

Paula, the quilter said...

What a lovely tribute post! Thank you for sharing. People like that are too swiftly gone from our lives.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

At first I was intimidated by her...she was, well, an outspoken woman to be sure! You never had to guess where she stood on anything! But any hesitations on my part were put aside when I went to her house to help hand quilt the guild's Habitat quilt. I was the only one who came for that shift, and even though I had not done much hand quilting - or at that time much quilting period - she made me feel right at home. A spirited woman whos spirit lives on.

Thanks Fannye...we all miss you! :-)

*karendianne. said...

This is a lovely post. This quilt couldn't have ended up in a better home and golly, it brings a tear to my eye.

What a blessing to have known her and been a part of her life.

*karendianne.

MARCIE said...

Very sweet. Wouldn't she be delighted to know how you feel about her and that you have her quilt.

Mama Spark said...

I just lost one lf the CL quilters this weekend. I will remember her fondly too. What a wonderful memory you have now of her!

Tanya said...

How wonderful to have a quilting mentor that knows how to encourage and teach and nudge the budding love for handwork into a new quilter. Because of her few minutes of time with you look at all you've done and all the people you've touched in the quilting world AND the blogging world.