06 February, 2009

"Got Cookies?"

This was the first project that I sewed on at retreat last weekend. I had amassed quite a collection of sixteen patches as a result of using Bonnie of Quiltville's Leaders & Enders technique, and decided to set them together with alternate snowball blocks. I was running a few working titles for this quilt around in my head when my tablemate for the weekend, Salem Stitcher, suggested a cookie-themed print fabric for the backing. Why? Take a close look at the background fabric in the snowballs! And so, it came to pass; "Got Cookies?" became the assigned name! I plan to add two borders, a dark red inner border and a black outer border. As I quilt that outer border I'll try my hand at stitching as many different cookie names as I can think of into the design; that was yet another suggestion, this time by none other than the afore-mentioned Bonnie! My talented friends were busy and productive cranking out the projects this weekend, as well; everything from traditional hand applique and machine quilting to intricate piecework and inspiring art quilts. I just love going on retreat and hanging out with these ladies, have a look at a few samples below, you'll be amazed and inspired too!I got started putting together a happy, scrappy, strip-pieced play quilt for my grandson late Saturday evening. Almost half of it is together now and I will do a progress post, as well as a "how to", on that quilt tomorrow. Until then, remember...

Life is Good!
Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

MARCIE said...

Love your Got Cookies? quilt! What a fun way to use up scraps!

Nancy said...

Isn't that just the CUTEST quilt!

Partial to Oreos,
Near Philadelphia

nannergirl said...

Mrs. G you make goooood cookies! Love how you set the 9 patches.

Salem Stitcher said...

I love how your quilt turned out. You inspired me to get my own leaders and enders tamed into 16-patches!

KarenF said...

Can't wait to see it quilted! Bring it to bee..and let us know ahead of time - we can all bring our favorite cookie to share!

SubeeSews said...

The Got Cookies? quilt is so beautiful. I too am doing leaders and enders and have no clue what they will be when finished. This quilt is definately on my to-do list.
Subee

paula, the quilter said...

The snowball block always makes an excellent alternate block. Love your "Got Cookies?" quilt. And Bonnie's website is always a source of inspiration isn't it?

Bonnie said...

It looks SO good! And I love the name. That was the best weekend.

I'm also having fun with your little novelty trimmings....It's so fun to mix them in with my scrappy pineapples!

Bonnie

Quilt Hollow said...

I didn't put two and two together when Bonnie was here yesterday. She kept saying a quilter at retreat gave her...and she had all these sweet little bits of scraps that she was using in her paper pieced pineapples!
As I cut off the edges of my quilt and tossed in a pile I called, "rat bedding" Bonnie pulled more from that. Too funny! Anyway, it really is a small world....and your quilt is adorable!!

Catherine said...

Your Got Cookies? quilt is fabulous!! What a super idea.

Jeanne said...

That's a great quilt and a perfect title for it. Nice work.

Carrie P. said...

wow, I love your quilt! So fun. The other quilts are great too. Who is doing the applique houses?

mamaspark said...

This is a great quilt! What size were your squares in the 16 patch?

Quilting4U said...

I love your quilt! The fabric you used for the snowballs is just wonderful!!

Lisa Boyer said...

I just love that quilt! So scrappy and colorful! Bonnie, Salem Stitcher, and you...what a great group! Such wonderful quilts come out of your meetings--can I come next time??? Pleeeease???

Libby said...

What a great quilt! Darling name, too *s*

*karendianne. said...

Oh this is so much fun. Inspiring!


Signed,

The Cookie Monster

Tanya said...

What a GREAT quilt! I've got all those leaders/enders too... This gets my brain stirring!

Quilts And Pieces said...

That Got Cookies quilt is inspired! I love it!