05 August, 2010

Burp Cloth How-To

Yesterday, Wednesday, was once again a devoted machine embroidery day at Chez Goodneedle! There have been some inquiries into how the burp cloths I crank out are created. I have included extra photos, below, to give you more details on the front and back. I start the whole process with Gerber 6-ply, pre-folded, premium diapers. I pre-wash and press them flat before beginning the embellishment. My primary objection to using them without binding is the raggedy edge that becomes more pronounced after a trip through the washer. That would only get worse the more they are washed and dried, (with these items launder-ability is key!) however, once they're trimmed up they're good to go wash after wash! I place the design onto the diaper so that the base of the embroidery field is at least 1.25" from the bottom edge to accommodate the ribbon trim. Once the embroidery design is completed I cut two strips of coordinating binding fabric, on the bias, 15" X 2". (The diapers measure 13" across the short edges, 15" allows the necessary one inch "tuck under" allowance on either side.) I attach this strip, on both the top and the bottom of the burp cloth with a 1/4" seam. Then, a trip to the ironing board where the strips are pressed away from the burp cloth and the opposite strip edge is folded and pressed under 1/4". The strip ends get tucked in, even with the diaper edges at this point, and pressed likewise. Then, the ribbon (I use grosgrain ribbon, 7/8" wide) is applied across the face of the burp cloth and carefully pinned so that when it is top stitched in place it will secure the folded edge of the binding on the back side. I tuck the ribbon ends in and under the binding on the sides at this point and press flat. (Check pin placement carefully to make sure you're on the ribbon edge- front, and folded strip edge- back.) Stitch the ribbon in place, backstitching at the ends, remove from the machine and trim the threads. VoilĂ ; you're done! Toss the completed burp cloth over your shoulder, add baby, pat gently!
Life is Good!

Be Happy Tip #5:
Get a move on - Being physically active makes you happy. Find some activity you like to do and notice how it changes your mood: any kind of sport, dance and yoga. Make a habit of being active in any way you feel like.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

leigh anna said...

oh my, they are SUPER CUTE! :)
i love love love that font! :)

Loris said...

Adorable and great idea!

Charleen said...

Thank you for the great tutorial! With all the new babies in our family and at school I'm going to have to schedule a marathon embroidery day.

I like your "Be Happy" tips too. Today's is a favorite of mine!

Pat said...

Thank you so much for posting this!!! I just might be in need of making a set.....

I also want to play with some burp clothes that are not embroidered, but have a band of cute fabric sewn across the middle. My DIL's friend sells them on etsy in coordinated bundles 3 as baby gifts. Not that I'm interested in selling, but they sure do make a cute gift.

Janet said...

Thanks so much Mrs. G! I need to go buy some more of those diapers as the last bunch ended up being used without any cuteness applied! The puppy and monkey are adorable designs (as is that font:) ) !!

Nane said...

Wow, an international following!

These are so cute I hate to think of them getting "burped" on

*karendianne. said...

Man these are lovely. Actively yours, *karendianne.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

I need to place an order in a couple of weeks. Our Youth minister and his wife are expecting their first this month! Waiting to find out if it's a boy or girl...