21 April, 2011

Creature Comforts

I sew with my best friend every day. Hour after hour, from one project to the next, I stick like glue. The drone of her sewing machine makes me very sleepy, I crawl into my own little bed under the cutting table and dream, uninterrupted, until she stoops to scratch behind my ears or to take my picture! It's a curse, being this handsome; a curse, I tell you... but, it's one I've learned to live with! I'm a lucky pup, not all dogs have comfortable beds (or sewing rooms) to sleep in. My Mom has a friend who collects scraps and trimmings from other quilters and chops them up, really small (think confetti) to fill beds (that won't lump up after washing) for those less fortunate than me. Before my Mom's friend began this project the dogs who live in shelters, awaiting homes of their own, had to sleep on a cold, hard floor; that's sad. Next time you're about to toss your sewing leftovers into a trashcan think about how they could help a fellow canine. Check with your local shelter to see if they have a similar program, if they don't maybe you could start one! Do it for me, do it for the dogs; everyone deserves a warm and cozy bed.

Life is Good!
...don't forget to comment on Mom's post from last Saturday, only three days left...





Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Elisa Black said...

What a great post!! And the clincher is looking into your dog's pleading eyes- truly (wo)man's best friend. Never thought of re-using scraps for dog beds-- thanks for sharing that idea.

miss-linny said...

Dear Hannes, you are so lucky to live with your mom.My mum also gives textiles to the kennels for less fortunate pooches here in UK.She says dogs are really angels sent to comfort people.Granddad describes my home as a "cushy billet", it's an expression from his war years.He's old in peoples years, 88, and if 1 dog year = 7 people years I am about 115. just off now to see the old uns, keep up the good work. Henry Walker

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Oh Hannes...you are so awesome! What a nice surprise to read your post this morning. Thanks for helping spread the word!

Unknown said...

Great post and what a sweetie and lucky dog Hannes is. Thanks so much for spreading the word and helping all those sweet animals in shelters everywhere.

Nane said...

Hannes you are a lucky dog!

LizA. said...

Arlo says to tell Hannes that he's too short--he's missing out on the best part of hanging out in Mom's sewing room. being able to stick your head into all the trash baskets and spread all those scaps all over the floor!!!

Domestic Designer said...

So Cute! What a handsome dog you are and what a kind mother you have!
DD

Anonymous said...

Ah...the little love of your life oh so darling!

Salem Stitcher said...

Hannes, you are such a handsome boy and stand up for a worthy cause that I obviously love too. I love you too even though I bark at you and you bite my tail.

Love, Shelby