29 July, 2014

Face Forward

This zippered pouch contains some of my most valued possessions... my makeup!  My greatest fear has always been that I would take a trip away from home somewhere and forget to take my makeup with me. Okay, well maybe not my greatest fear, but it ranks right up there!  It has taken me years to streamline my daily beauty routine into one smooth and efficient process that allows me to look natural, but improved, and ready to face the world. I don't ever leave the house without my enhanced "face" on. Years ago our neighbor, who was a young boy at the time, told me that he would never have a girlfriend who wore makeup because girls grow dependant upon it! His Mom and I laughed about this for years, referring to ourselves as makeup dependant and proud of it.  Fast forward to last weekend and our quick weekend trip to New England.  We'd been in the car for at least ten hours when I had this dreaded premonition creep into my brain that I might not have placed my makeup bag into my suitcase. I quickly dismissed the thought (I've had this happen before) and decided to put my mind at rest by checking the bag when we stopped at the next rest stop. I did check the bag, but instead of my mind being put at rest I found my worst fear confirmed... no makeup. I knew that Mr. Goodneedle wouldn't be happy at the prospects of stopping at a mall with a major department store (where I find my favorite brand of cosmetics) when time was of the essence and he was in travel-mode. He wasn't pleased, at all; but said the sweetest thing after I explained what I'd forgotten: "you don't need any makeup, you look just fine without it" I appreciated that but asked again anyway; he agreed to a  quick Target visit, one that was right off the highway.  I knew, naturally that this wasn't a necessity... my husband and family would love my blotchy skin, lack of eyelashes and brows as well as pale cheeks and ghost-like lips regardless; but I had a class coming up the next day and the outside world to face too, I didn't want to frighten anyone! I had to be fast when I ran into the store... it was hard to know what to get, I grabbed what I could, items that I thought would get me through the weekend; I was delighted to pay a mere fraction of what I normally do but the proof would be on my face.  I appeared passable the next morning, probably no one could even tell any difference in how I looked compared to any other day, but I knew; my face felt different!  I was never happier than to return to my normal beauty routine at home. I have a pouch full of brand-new, bargain cosmetics stashed in my suitcase for "emergencies"; now that I have that, you realize, I will never forget my real makeup pouch ever again!

I admit it, I'm makeup dependant;
I can't say I wasn't warned.
Life is Good!
  

6 comments:

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Mr. Goodneedle is right...but glad you found some replacements!

quiltkeemosabe said...

My grandmother used to call it "putting my face on" as in, "I'll be ready once I put my face on." Glad you were able to put yours on.

Janet O. said...

I am usually in that boat with you, but I know for blond complexions, the eyebrow/eyelash thing is more obvious. Both of my daughters have chosen to go makeup free--and with their dark eyes, eyebrows, eyelashes--they can get away with it! : )

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I wear much less makeup now than I did when I was working full time and my skin appears/feels better for it. However, when I do "put my face on" I seem to have more confidence and really do THINK I look better. It's easy to get into NOT doing anything with makeup in the morning but it does make you feel better all day long.

Ruth said...

I don't wear a lot, but have had the same fear as you - I never leave home without it.

Millie said...

Well I saw you at class and I thought you looked pretty darn lovely.