21 August, 2014

Improvements At The Strawberry Patch

I received an early (1 month +) birthday present yesterday, compliments of my super-talented husband!  Here it is, mounted on the wall in the studio; a solid oak, hand crafted cabinet.  I've wanted one for years, but the one that he made for me is even better than what I thought I wanted. Originally I had a floor-standing cabinet in  mind, he improved on my idea by making it a much slimmer profile (only 4.5" off the wall) and hanging it so that I didn't lose the electrical outlet underneath or have one more thing standing on the floor collecting dust beneath it where the vacuum won't reach.  In case you haven't guessed what this custom cabinet was built to contain...
...yep, cones of longarm thread; releasing them from an over-crowded drawer where they were all jumbled up together! 
Now, at a glance, I know exactly what I have on hand; and even have plenty of room to expand inventory.

Luckily, we had four of these cabinet door pulls leftover from the original cabinetry that he made; aren't they just perfect for The Strawberry Patch?
As if the cabinet improvement wasn't enough... we re-did the design wall on Saturday. After 13 years on the wall the outer fabric surface had pulled away from the backing and was stretched out and sagging badly. We took it all down, peeled the fabric off and restretched, remounted and rehung the new, improved, face-lifted design wall back into position.
Life is Good!

16 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, it's perfect. You are a lucky girl!!

Carol said...

Beautiful! Your husband does amazing work!

antique quilter said...

oh my what a great gift! its so wonderful that your DH is so talented. Love the little quilt
life is good!
just made me smile
Kathie

quiltkeemosabe said...

Looks great! Perfectly designed for threads.

Unknown said...

Beautiful workmanship! Your husband is as talented as you are!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Wow! What a wonderful birthday gift! And what a talented husband you have!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous cabinet - love that it is built-in and so spacious!

Marie said...

Just perfect-- and I can see it is already well used!! Hugs, Marie

Unknown said...

Yay! Looks great! He did a great job!

Mama Spark said...

oh man, this is fantastic! Is he for hire? Think I could take one home on the plane with me next time I visit?? LOL

Janet O. said...

Okay, I know I am not supposed to covet, but you are making that commandment awfully hard to obey! : ) Your DH does amazing work! What a talented couple you two make!

Needled Mom said...

That is gorgeous and is a great gift!

Laura said...

Love both of those. Lucky duck for having such a beautiful sewing space!

jude's page said...

Wow, that looks terrific, maybe you could send him to Australia, or better still both of you could come.!

LizA. said...

I am so jealous --not that I have a wall to put one of these on. Dormer walls are such a pain to work with.....

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love both projects but your design wall is wonderful for sure. Framing it was a perfect idea. blessings, marlene