01 October, 2014

It's October...

... and you know what that means, it's the time of year for scary things!   It is also the time of year for cleaning out the flower pots of their tired, leggy annuals and replanting them with fall flowers. While I was pulling out the spent plants this morning I ran across this evil-looking spider crawling away. I had no idea what it was and quickly ran for the camera to capture this image. My websearch revealed this to be a "Marbeled Orb Weaver"; there seem to be differing opinions among spider experts as to the poisonous nature of this spider. That's okay, I'm not taking any chances and trapped it securely for disposal.
The pots are all done now, the outside of our home is ready for fall and cooler weather. Oh, back to scary things... today is my dear mother-in-law's 92nd birthday. My husband's brother and his sister, and their spouses, have all gathered in town to celebrate; we're taking her out to dinner this evening. My husband calculated that the average age of each of the seven participants who'll be seated at the birthday table tonight is just over 70 years... now that's really scary! Happy October, everyone.
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

I am impressed with your identification skills. : )
The pots look so nice. I gave up on pots years ago because I couldn't remember to water them daily. How bad is that?
Enjoy your special evening. (Isn't 70 the new 30?)

lindsey said...

That spider looks awful !!! but your plants look great :)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

The only good spider is a dead spider.

I'm with Janet ... I can't remember to water so potted plants for me.

Paula, the quilter said...

The colder weather has forced a lot of creepy crawlies into the house. Ugh. I don't plant for fall because we never know when the first frost is going to be: sometimes as early as Sept 7 or as late as Oct 31. Maybe I should plant fake flowers?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Great photo - nasty spider !!!!

Unknown said...

Scary!

Lindah said...

Ha-Ha! Let me tell you, being over 70 can be scary sometimes. :-)

I hope you all had a marvelous family dinner.

cityquilter grace said...

gee not so scary with regard to the average age...today not uncommon for people to be active to age 100...i think it's great...think of my grandmother who seemed old all of her life, missed so much...many more years to everyone!