26 November, 2014

Re-bound!


I bought this book, The Quilt Block Bible, with a conventional flat binding. It was fine that way, it held the pages in as it was designed to do, but as I work my way through the book, writing up directions and stitching out the blocks, I found myself weighing down the book's cover by what ever means within arm's reach: a magnetic pin cushion, another book, whatever it took to hold the pages open to the desired page. This wasn't always a satisfactory solution.  Last month, during our "Bible" study work session, Quiltkeemosabe and I took a field trip to our local office supply store and surrendered our books for a spiral re-binding (as shown here); this was the best $5 I've ever spent, no more frustrating flip-overs! 

Now, our books stay flat and open to the proper page as we work our way through, without any weighty assistance! We'll meet again next week... I still have five more blocks to go before then, I'd better get busy. We're about one eighth of the way through the book and still enjoying every stitch, all while amassing an ever-growing collection of unique and colorful six inch blocks!
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

I have done this with several books - great way to make them really useful!!

Lovely blocks, btw!!!!!

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

It's only $5 a book to do that? Might be worth the $140 to bring an extra bag to and from the US for that express purpose. :D Great idea!

Paula, the quilter said...

I have done that too! It really is money well spent.

Janet O. said...

Wow, those blocks are looking great! This must be so much fun for the two of you to work together on this project.
I use to do this to my kids' piano books all the time and have done it to a couple of my quilt books. The only negative I can see is that if I get too many of them rebound, I won't be able to tell which is which when they sit on the shelf. But they sure are convenient to use!

NeverBored said...

I did that to my EQ7 manual and it made it so much easier to use. I highly recommend doing it to any book you use often.

Mary said...

I did that with one of Bonnie's books and am sorry to report that it is not $5 in Canada. But to me it was still worth the cost, although at the moment I can't even remember exactly but thinking about $10.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Yup, I've done that with the books I used the most.

cityquilter grace said...

i've done that with some of mine too....terrific idea and oh so handy. makes it much easier to actually use the book!