28 March, 2015

Vintage Find

Saturday is Egg Day at our house. Both Mr. Goodneedle and I try to limit our cholesterol intake and decided a few years ago that we would celebrate breakfast with an egg only once a week (bacon only makes an appearance a few times a year); it's cereal the other six days. After the recent pantry clean-out and reorganization success I was spurred on to tackle more cabinets in the kitchen. You know how that happens... one thing leads to another, and another, and another. It's the If You Give A Mouse A Cookie syndrome; read it if you're unfamiliar, you'll understand. Anyway, during the height of this clean, purge and reorganizing frenzy I ran across this vintage egg cooker. I believe that we've owned it all of our married life (closing in on 40 years), leading me to think it was a wedding gift. I haven't used it in decades and decided to put it to use for poached eggs a few Saturdays ago, for old times' sake. I filled the receptacle with water, broke the eggs into the egg cups and pressed in the button. Uh-oh! I couldn't release my finger from the button without the appliance shutting off. I had already committed the eggs so I called quickly to Mr. Goodneedle to start the English muffins in the toaster while I kept the button depressed manually. The eggs cooked up perfectly, just like I had remembered; but I figured that the faulty on/off button had rendered the appliance defunct. Nope, not at all. After breakfast he took the egg cooker down to his "fix-it" shop and repaired the switch; it was a simple fix, he reported. We were back in business. This vintage find has been pressed back into service, at least on Saturday mornings. It will also hard boil eggs, with dyeing day coming up it'll see double duty this Easter weekend.
What treasures are hiding behind closed doors at your house?
Life is Good!

10 comments:

BarbCarol said...

I just "down-sized" and donated my little egg cooker. It was great when I had teenage boys messing up the kitchen while preparing their breakfasts.
There are mornings that I do miss the cooker.

NanaNor's said...

My parents never cooked poached eggs, but we had soft boiled eggs for breakfast all the time. I still love them. For some reason though, poached eggs make me ill. Glad you found your old poacher and are enjoying it.
Hugs, Noreen

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love poached eggs but have yet to perfect the art of cooking one correctly - an egg cooker is the perfect answer! blessings, marlene

Quiltdivajulie said...

When we added rolling shelves to our lower cabinets a few years ago, we found several "treasures' lurking in the back corners. They've all found new homes since then. Happy poaching!

Paula, the quilter said...

I will be finding some "treasures" soon as we are starting a kitchen remodel. First up: empty the cabinets.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I poach eggs the Julia Child way and while I do have an egg poaching pan it doesn't see much service because the Boyfriend likes his scrambled. Like you and Mr. Goodneedle, we've limited our egg intake over the last year. As for "downsizing" we have been on a mission this winter to put items of value and good use up for sale on eBay or donate them to a local women's shelter to help them raise funds. We really DO need less than we all have don't we ..... Linda

Millie said...

You can now have more eggs than once a week. "They" have just found that eggs aren't as bad for you as we once thought they were. I poach eggs in water. No need for a one-use appliance. I'd dump the egg cooker and get a good rice cooker. Now THOSE are worth their weight in gold!

Nane said...

I still use Mom's when I go he and makes deviled eggs for church. We are supposed to pierce the shells with hers so if we made Easter eggs out of them they dye would soak in and give us pastel egg whites too

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I love poached eggs, but like you two, we're trying to limit our cholesterol intake ... not to mention the temptation to serve up other high-calorie foods with the eggs.

lindsey said...

I love poached eggs and I love a kitchen gadget :) I used to have an egg boiler, similar to this but you leave the egg in the shell, but an egg poacher would be even better!