29 April, 2016

Quilt Block Bible Study

Geese Squared
Beginner's Delight
I have been posting for a while now about the monthly meetings that Quiltkeemosabe and I have been having where we exchange the directions we've been writing for each and every quilt block in Rosemary Youngs' Quilt Block Bible. Yesterday was one of those days. I told her ahead of time that I thought "Geese Squared", one of my assigned blocks for last month, might just be my favorite so far. But, that was before I did "Beginner's Delight"; I don't know if I can decide. But then, we've amassed quite a collection since the beginning, it's increasingly difficult to choose. My own body of work, so far, is shown below; 121 out of 202. I just love looking at them!
Can you choose a favorite? I have a question: should I sash this with dark sashing or keep it in the lighter range as it appears on the design wall? I have been thinking dark all along but I'm open to thoughts and opinions.
Life is Good!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous display!! I'm sure these blocks and eventual quilt will bring wonderful memories of time spent with your friend. Blessings to both of you.

cityquilter grace said...

beautiful blocks....i'd try both and see which highlights the blocks better...all that piecing should stand out...

jude's page said...

They all look so good, you have done an amazing job. Lay some darker strips on the design wall, and see how that looks, although I quite like it as it is.

Janet O. said...

What an accomplishment! Beautiful work!
I'd be interested to see the blocks with some dark strips laid between them. Hard to tell what would look best without actually seeing it.

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I love it when you share this project's updates. And I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite! Seriously considering acquiring said Bible. And I'd prolly audition RED for sashing???

45th Parallel Quilter said...

I think sashing (black/blue/red) would make each of the blocks stand out on their own ... which they deserve and yet it would unify them when assembled. I'm a big "sashing girl" ... like the look of it. As others have mentioned, give it a layout try, post so we can see and then take a "vote" ... it's looking beautiful and you're making me think seriously about starting mine (I have the book and CD). Linda

Vic in NH said...

A dark sashing will compartmentalize each block and make a gridded visual effect. Keeping a light sashing will give a floating open effect. Try opening up a piece of dark fabric and arranging it underneath a section of your blocks on the design wall. Leave it there for a week to give yourself the opportunity to see what effect you like best. You might even entertain a thought of using dark sashings that are limited to only an inner medallion-like area of the quilt and then use light sashings on the outer edges (or vice versa). You rule!

Bibi Chats said...

Hello, I like your blocks. I admire your precision, it is a challenge for me, even after years of quilting. I like the thought of a dark sashing as then each block will feel featured in it's own glory. One's eye will focus on each block. Thanks for sharing. Liz

NanaNor's said...

Love all your squares and don't think I can pick out a favorite. I'm doing a sampler with a club I belong too and have enjoyed it. One square I don't like is Flying Geese because getting the points perfect is tricky. I know there must be many ways to do them, but the one I have been using doesn't have enough extra for 1/4" seam allowance.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Noreen