14 June, 2016

Jackstones

"Jackstones" ~ 63" X 73.5"
Jackstones has finally, officially, made it to the "flimsy" stage. Hooray! 

Begun a year ago and promptly back-burnered, it was inspired by this magazine cover from 2013
and this tutorial (pictured below) from the same quiltmaker.
My version, however, is not paper pieced. My wedges are a bit slimmer, I used a 9 degree wedge ruler and, constructing my own template*, stacked my square background pieces and cut them after marking the cutting line, as illustrated below.
I cut the background squares 6.5" and, after inserting the wedges and the subsequent trim down, (below) ended up with blocks cut at 5.75"; sort of a weird size, but it was all an experiment; one that I loved so much that I simply kept going with it as it was!
It hardly made a dent in my low volume stash and, as usual, have been putting together something else as I pieced this one. I have lots to report, stay tuned. In the meantime I am dreaming of how I will quilt up Jackstones to fully show off the pieced alternate border solid color to its advantage.

*If anyone is interested in a printout of the (albeit sketchy) directions including the template I created, let me know and I will email you a copy.
Life is Good!

10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fantastic -- thank you for sharing how YOU made this very, very pretty quilt top. Especially like the border!

Nane said...

I could see a bouncing ball appliquéd to this !!!

Quilting Babcia said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing how you made your blocks!

Janet O. said...

Oh, this quilt sparkles! The solid border with lighter wedges finishes it off beautifully! What a smart addition.
I am interested to see what you do for the quilting.

Carol C. said...

I love the use of low volume prints, gray, and color! Delightful! I would love it if you would e-mail me the template and how you made the blocks. Great inspiration - thanks! IronLftr10atyahoo.com

Mama Spark said...

I really love this one and how it is turning out! Would love a copy of your template as well. You never know when it could help me use up some of those scraps I have laying around!

Tanya said...

I really like colors you used more than the magazine example. Your colors seem to catch the eye more.

cityquilter grace said...

do scrap quilts ever make a dent???? lol

Ramona said...

This quilt just sparkles. I see why you call it Jackstones, but it looks like sparklers and sprinklers to me. I would love a copy of your directions. Thank you for sharing!

Julie said...

Long time reader, first time commenter: LOVE your Jackstones! Actually, I had been scouring the internet trying to figure out how I could get a copy of the 2014 Quilt magazine, for I, too, wanted to make their Dresden Stars. Of course, it was out of print. :-( What a stroke of luck that you posted the link for the tutorial that you used. Thank you so much!!