15 March, 2017

Pulling It Together

Pattern is from the book "S is for Stitch"  ~ 34.5" X 39"
Last week I found the perfect border piece for this embroidered "quiltlet", I believe this color helps to pull it together. I also found, what I consider to be, the most ideal backing piece as well, a precious floral that picks up the colors from the front (left, photos below). I need for scrappy, multi-fabric pieces to be controlled and cohesive. This one is pulling together beautifully, at least it is to my eye. Yesterday afternoon I took  stole a bit of time and added the border, pressed the piece and hung it on a hanger, where it now has taken its rightful spot in the "to be quilted" queue. That brings up even more to think about. However will I quilt this one? I honestly don't know.
I don't believe that I want to quilt through the hand embroidered blocks at all. 
What would you do when faced with this quilting challenge? I am wide open to suggestions. I have a LOT of time to decide, I am counting on this little flimsy to wait patiently for its turn, there are a myriad of other tasks that require pulling together in the meantime. Stolen moments to stitch, however, provides much needed energy to this quiltophile!
Life is Good!




7 comments:

Janet O. said...

You ARE pulling it all together nicely. Great finds on the border and backing.
I would definitely NOT want to quilt THROUGH the embroidery, but I think a little bit of echo quilting around the designs might make them pop. But if the blocks are small enough, you would be fine not quilting in the blocks at all.

jude's page said...

Quilt a frame just inside the block and SID the stitchery. Just my opinion, but I am sure you will come up with a good solution. I have seen crosshatching through the stitching which looked ok too.

Paula, the quilter said...

How serendipitous! I am working on some very large blocks (16") that I found on a giveaway table. There were 20 total and I believe it was one of those kit quilts because there is a lot of poly blend fabrics. Posies and butterflies and the butterflies have embroidered antenna. I am going to make 5 baby quilts for donation to Denver Health Medical. I plan to do grid quilting through the appliquéd and the embroidery. That is when I can get back to quilting.

Needled Mom said...

Those blocks are darling and I love all of the plaids. I've done the quilting both ways on embroidery. Small stipples help the design pop forward while overall quilting makes it blend into the quilt pattern. Both would look great so it depends on what your preference is.

NanaNor's said...

Such beautiful hand work; I wouldn't stitch in the centers either, but would stitch in the ditch around the borders. Love the bright aqua and how it makes everything pop.
Hugs,
Noreen

LizA. said...

Love it! It came together quite nicely. Can't help with how to quilt it....that is ALWAYS my biggest problem.

Lindah said...

You found a perfect piece for the backing. How to quilt an embroidered quilt is always a quandary for me. I have seen both quilted and unquilted embroidery blocks and have done it both ways. I personally prefer a bit of background quilting in addition to any SID one might do around the block edges. It anchors the block and the batting, prevents poofing and coming apart later on. It also adds another layer of texture to the quilt. It also takes more time! ha! Whatever you do/don't do, it is a lovely quilt.