18 January, 2018

Five?







Five? Really?? The passage of time seems to be measured in days rather than years to this Nana. How could time be passing so quickly? Yes, our youngest granddaughter is five years old.

January 2013

We had a fun day shopping for clothes and accessories for her newest doll, Kit, on Monday. Our trips together to the American Girl store have become a birthday tradition. My dad calls it the "Grandparents Store", there's a lot of truth in that. 😉

Tuesday was Lynneligh's actual birthday, we gathered with her and the family for dinner and for her to blow out the candle on her cupcake. It's a good thing, too. Because yesterday this was the scene in our parts; when this happens here no one goes anywhere! It was so pretty and peaceful, we had 6".

The children all had a snow day from school to play; I spent the snowy afternoon playing, too!

Today the sun is shining, the temperatures are rising and a clean-up is underway.

There's a clean-up underway inside too. As we s-l-o-w-l-y put our house back together after the floor refinishing I am dedicated to cleaning out junk and debris that has been accumulating in the closets.
This 1991 planner surfaced. I have no clue why I kept this. Back then I kept track of how many hours a day I quilted (hand quilting in those days) and the projects I hoped to complete each month. I had to squeeze in as much time as I could while the children were in school or at other activities. It would seem that I got much done, too. I barely remember these quilts now. There is a notation in there that is laughable to me today: "This month I plan to finish up all projects already started!" Alrighty then. 

Some things change dramatically and some don't. I still keep a planner, but I do not log in quilting hours. I wish that I finished every project already started; but today I pick and choose what I will devote time to. I remember when our children were growing up someone told me that "the days are long but the years are short". I can fully appreciate that today. I have always crammed my days full, I can't recall a time when I didn't; and, yes, the years have grown incredibly short. I measure them in a different way now-- through my grandchildren. How are you marking time today?

Life is Good!





8 comments:

Janet O. said...

My goodness, it doesn't seem that long since that little bundle was introduced on your blog!
The snowy scene is lovely. Unfortunately, we get enough of that around here that it doesn't stop anyone or anything. The equipment is on hand to clear the roads and life goes on. Right now, though, we have had a pretty bare, warm January. Snow is expected this weekend.
What fun to see the old planner and compare your days--then and now.
I, too, pack my days, often with much more than they can hold. And the days and years are flying by. You are marking time in the way that matters most!

AnnieO said...

Sweet 5 year old, happy birthday! So true about the days being long, but the years short! I remember quite a few very long days when I had three littles! Now my own grandsons will be 4 & 2 next month. Amazing! Enjoy your snow day. I have old lists and calendars that surface now and again and like to look back at those times.

Elita@Busy Needle Quilting said...

I've not heard the "long days and short years" sentiment but find it resonates with me too. I have really enjoyed seeing these lovely littles growing up, seemingly before our very eyes! Beautiful grandbabies!

jude's page said...

Love that you found the old diary, amazing what is in the "dark depths" of stuff. I can't imagine living with snow, how often do you have days that you can't go anywhere? Do the shops shut down and business cease? We are having the opposite now, with temperatures hovering around 43 deg today! (I think that might be about 108 in your language??

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh my, that little one is growing up quickly! Seems like only yesterday that our youngest was born and now he' nearly 13 months old and will be walking by the next time we have a chance to visit. Grandchildren are surely the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I should be cleaning out and purging too, but instead have several quilts out and actively being worked on again before spring planting/mowing season arrives and the free time dwindles to nothing.

Little Penpen said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful sweet girl! Grandchildren seem to grow up even faster than our children, don't they? I have realized that I got a lot more done when my kids were little... why is that??? I enjoyed seeing your calendar diary of your quilting hours and was thinking "what a great idea!!" ha! I have always wondered how others spend their days, especially those of you that produce so many projects! :-))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Time flies faster now than ever before - Little Man is seventeen months already and none of us can believe it. I track life in moments with reference points here and there - and yes, his achievements are now becoming some of those reference points. I DO understand your thoughts!

45th Parallel Quilter said...

No children of my own but I remember (very fondly) of nieces and a nephew SPEEDING past milestones. They are in their late 20's and early 30's now ... how can that possibly be?? Since retiring I start each day looking forward to what I will accomplish only by 3 p.m. often finding myself thinking of a nap!! Having worked all my life retirement was a "difficult" adjustment because I thought I had to be busy all the time; just like I had during my working years. Now I realize that what I do is for ME ... not for someone else. Weather break here in Northern Michigan this weekend ... 40's so the snow will melt a little but plunging early next week again. Winter is far from over. So glad you get to enjoy your wee ones with regularity ... that is what it is all about ;-) Linda