12 January, 2018

Making Room

The New Year has arrived and new (okay, old) projects have surfaced (okay, re-surfaced!). Down with the Hexagon Blocks from the design wall, make room for Hexie Garden. This pattern, from Atkinson Designs, has been on my list to finish for three years. I am happy to report that it is now, officially, a completed TOP. Yes!! What accounts for this sudden burst of productivity? A retreat happened. There is nothing more satisfying than to sit and sew, and see results, when you are surrounded by like-minded friends with similar goals.

Yep, last week I packed up enough projects to keep me busy for an entire weekend (maybe for an entire year, if truth be told!) and off we went! It was bitter cold outside but the twelve of us who clustered together in the activity room at the retreat center kept warm and comfortable with non-stop snacks for sustenance and the hum of happy conversation and sewing machines for atmosphere.
Hexie Garden ~ 56" X 60"

This happy guy is the third block that I have finished from Nancy Halvorsen's "Be Attitudes" pattern; he certainly had the right idea last weekend! I am stitching these with raw-edge machine applique and hand embroidered embellishments. At the rate of one a month, I should be done with this in October. This is yet one more of those projects that were all neatly organized (fabrics, buttons, floss, pattern book; in fact, all of the background blocks were stitched together-- and labeled!) years ago; before being stashed in a dedicated bin and promptly shelved. Don't ask why, I do not know the answer!
😉
The Hexie Garden will now take her turn waiting in the "to be quilted" queue; those already waiting will move over, making room. The "Be Attitudes" bin will make room for a new frosty friend as another would-be block comes to the top of the pile and this quiltmaker is energized and making room for lots more finishes in 2018. 
Life is Good!
...and sew it goes...

8 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Your snowman block is adorable!! Gorgeous hexies, too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am SO with you on the finishing of existing/stalled/waiting pieces/parts and the emptying of all those stacked project boxes (grin).

AnnieO said...

Hoping to be productive that way with a home retreat weekend someday soon! Congratulations on your progress and fun while doing it 😁

julieQ said...

Your floors are going to be so, so pretty...AND DUST FREE! hee!! I love your bee attitudes quilt, perfect fabric choices going on there.

jude's page said...

I love your hexie quilt, is that cut with the HexNMore ruler? It's good to get some languishing projects done, and you will be so pleased when your floors are finished.

Janet O. said...

Great progress! I just returned from three days of retreat, myself. Had a similar journey through the shelved projects before going. Fun to see what you did.

Lindah said...

Oh, those hexies! You do them so well. Beauty in progress.
Owing to the holiday busy-ness, I missed a few of your posts and am now playing catch up. I noticed on the cookie post, in one of the photos, a copy of Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. I am curious, when did a cooky become a cookie? When i grew up, we ate a cooky with our milk. My grandson has a cookie. When/why did that change? Inquiring minds, etc.

Tanya said...

I love your Hexie Garden! What a clever way of making hexes into flowers! They are so fresh and cheerful!