28 June, 2014

The Great American Road Trip... Part 3

We entered Yellowstone National Park at the NE entrance on a picture perfect day! I didn't really know what to expect, other than geysers, of course.  We were  delighted to experience a wide variety of wildlife, picturesque scenery , unusual geothermal features and roaring, rushing rivers and waterfalls overflowing their boundaries due to warming days and an ever-increasing amount of snowmelt.  This post will be long on photos and short on words. C'mon along and enjoy the park!






"I'm sorry I am late... there was a Bison blocking my car."


"Nevermore"
We hiked down to this top-of-the-falls vantage point of the Lower Yellowstone Falls, it was one fantastic experience!  Not a lengthy hike, but a strenuous one back up and out. As we ended the steep climb and were headed back to our car we bumped into a family from back home, from our own church as a matter of fact! What are the odds?






Mud Volcano  -  gurgling, bubbling mud pit.
You can add your own caption here... be kind!



This geyser erupted while we were waiting on Old Faithful, 
it is located just adjacent to the more famous one and was, 
actually, much more impressive in plume height.
Old Faithful
The hardy watchers and waiters were rewarded for their patience,
it was pouring  down rain when the eruption occured... on time!

Life is Good!

Tomorrow: Yellowstone day #2 and Grand Teton National Park.


8 comments:

lindsey said...

I would love to go to Yellowstone!

Janet O. said...

So familiar with all of these sights--have spent many summer vacations here and love it all. Have hiked to that lookout a few times, watched Old Faithful in the rain, and smelled the sulphur smell of the mud pots. I loved seeing your photos and was with you every step of the way! Looking forward to more. : )

AnnieO said...

One of my parents' favorite parks, but they never did that falls hike. Wow! Beautiful photos. On my bucket list for someday!

Annie said...

What beautiful photos, I enjoyed your visit to the park. I also have never been, would love to see it.

Another Annie

Jenny said...

Great photos and what a wonderful trip! Wyoming, Montana, and Utah are my last three states so I'm really enjoying the preview of my next trip. Thanks for sharing!

Paula, the quilter said...

I have visited Yellowstone often since my BBF lives in Cody. When I visit her I usually come back home through the park. It's beautiful isn't it?

jude's page said...

Thanks for the trip with you, was worried that your car is driving on the wrong side of the road coming up to a bend in the road, then remembered, that you do it "back to front" over there!!

Little Penpen said...

Beautiful!! love the bison blocking the car photo!