17 September, 2014

Curves!

"Adding Curves" ~  to finish up at 74" square.

I've begun the border sections on his quilt and find the piecing process of slowly stitching around the gentle curves oddly relaxing! I've already admitted in my previous post that I love to challenge myself; that's the truth. The alternate Orange Peel setting blocks weren't too bad, as long as I took my time and was careful to watch out for any slack that might result in any volunteer pleats in fabric! But, in all honesty, I was dreading these double-petaled border sections that I had designed for myself, especially adding the "V" section to the unit. Much to my delight, I found that it wasn't too difficult after all! One thing that I have learned, though, (after doing the first two) is to overcut the outer edge of that "V" (in width) so that it can then be cleanly trimmed up at 1/4" beyond the petal points. The templates I've created are exact and, even though I paid close attention to cutting those outer edges on the straight grain so that there would be no "pull" lengthwise, there is still a bit of stress to that edge pulling up from the center as this piece is set in against the curves on either side. I have remedied that occurrence by cutting these pieces a wee bit more generously (in width only, and marking on the back side where the 1/4" would fall) along that edge to allow for clean up when the block unit is complete.  

I still haven't settled on the final placement of the pieced blocks, there has been much shuffling. I can use some help here if anyone would like to weigh in and suggest a possible block shift or rotation; I believe I'm at the point where I have gone block-blind on this one!

Life is Good!

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

Wow--how stunning! And your border is going to be a perfect finish.
I am not one to tell people how to arrange their blocks--I have a hard enough time with my own. But at first glance, my impression was that the blue that stands out all seems to be in one area. But maybe you want it that way. It is your quilt, and it should please your eye. : )

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

This is really, really terrific. Thanks for sharing it!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I suspect the block with four overlapping squares needs to be re-oriented ... there looks to be a top left to bottom right diagonal and the aforementioned block runs opposite (unless you are looking for unexpected). Also agree with the double blue comment. Have fun - you'll get it just right - all in good time!

LizA. said...

I would take the third row down, orange square with yellow & green and rotate it 90 to the right.

StitchinByTheLake said...

You are much braver than I - I avoid curves. :) blessings, marlene

Laura said...

I love the look of this! What about switching the bottom row, far right pieced block with the one touching the upper left corner? (second row from the bottom, middle block).