27 January, 2015

Adding Curves

 I'm on a roll... with curves! I've been putting together quite a few of these double "football" units, they measure 12" X 6" and are border pieces for the quilt I'm currently setting together. Unlike the Winding Ways blocks that I posted about yesterday, these aren't cut out using a die cutter; but, rather, by the old-fashioned method of drawing around templates and cutting the shapes with shears! I can be very patient to get the desired results.
Templates, marking pen, pins and shears: cutting the pieces by going back to my quiltmaking roots.
Why all he trouble? For this: "Adding Curves" (74" X 74"). The Orange Peel blocks and borders were all hand traced from templates and hand cut; then machine pieced to set these blocks-of-the-month from last years' $5 quilt workshops at Sew Original together. I wanted a unique setting. I haven't attached the border units to the center yet, but have only pinned them in place to the design wall to give you an idea of how it will look; it will be bordered on all sides, I'm halfway there.
These are the very same blocks, made up in a different colorway. This quilt is called "The Last Straw" and measures 56" X 70". It was put together late last summer; I believe that it has an entirely different visual appeal from it's sister quilt. I'm looking forward to quilting both of these in the near future; but, for now, I have a few more curves to navigate; I'm taking my time and enjoying the process.
Life is Good!

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Very cool, flashy look to this second version, Mrs. G. I am really impressed!

Laura Chaney said...

Which way do you prefer to cut out these shapes, with templates or the accuquilt?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fascinating differences between the two versions.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

You do such beautiful work, Mrs. Goodneedle ... LOVE it! Linda

jude's page said...

a stunning quilt and the border goes so well with the centre, Great work

lindsey said...

Beautiful, lovely neat curves :)

Anonymous said...

Both quilts are beautiful. It's so very interesting how the settings make them so different. I can't make up my mind which I like best. Guess it's a tie!! (grin)

LizA. said...

Wow! Love, love, love that circular setting.