28 May, 2016

Diamond Distraction

Does anything like this ever happen to you? I  saw a quilt that was shown in our guild's biennial show last weekend and I became obsessed with the pattern. I quickly contacted Quiltkeemosabe to see if she knew the name of the pattern; or, better yet, if she had the pattern. She didn't but she casually said: "if we had some 60 degree graph paper I guess we could figure it out". Okay, I took that as a personal challenge, I knew I couldn't rest until this block was constructed. Not knowing exactly how to proceed after I had drawn it up, I quickly discovered my "Sidekick"* ruler, otherwise unused up until now. Score! Not having any particular size in mind I decided to make the star center scrappy, cutting 2.5" diamonds easily and efficiently with my new-found favorite tool! I also had a bin of 2.5" precut strips. Score again!! This same ruler also allowed the background setting diamonds to be cut from 4.5" inch strips.
A friend once told me that whenever she made up any "trial" block she did them in the same color palette so that, eventually, she would have a collection of sampler blocks that would all go together. My red and white block bin is already burgeoning, but that's another post for another time.  
Half a block done! This was fun and went together perfectly. Oh, I forgot to mention that the quilt that inspired this obsession did win a ribbon at the show for "Best Piecing"; I wasn't going to settle for anything less than perfect points and intersections in my version either. 
Whew! Done. I couldn't be happier. This completed block measures 19" from west to east points, unfinished. Yes! I can rest now. I am adding this quilt to my "must do" list somewhere down the line. Don't forget: I already have all those precut strips! I'm thinking about a scrappy, multicolor quilt with a neutral background batik (one more thing just patiently waiting on the shelf to be used). But, for today, this block is joining all the other red and white additions to my someday sampler in its designated block box. If you are like me, and become distracted and/or obsessed by one thing that requires dropping all else until you can figure it out, I highly recommend succumbing to the challenge, you'll sleep better. Now, to get back on track!
Life is Good!
* For the record: Quiltkeemosabe told me that I needed that Sidekick ruler a few years ago, 
she always knows exactly what I need before I do. I am so glad that, this time, I listened!

8 comments:

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Oh, my goodness ... what a GREAT block ... might just have to try playing with that one myself. I was (and still am) terrible at "math" ... the algebra and geometry classes in school still make appearances in my nightmares. This might be an opportunity to wrestle those "ghosts" one last time ... thank you for sharing!! Linda

Paula, the quilter said...

I thought you were going to say you found the diamond graph paper online. :). What a great block!

quiltkeemosabe said...

The block looks great and I'll have to try it too. That Sidekick ruler along with its friend, Hexandmore are really great. Have you figured out how multiple blocks are set together? We'll have to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Your block is beautiful. Well done!!! :-)

Ann Parks said...

What a wonderful block! I can understand your need to figure out how to put it together. I will look forward to seeing what becomes of this new knowledge down the road!

Karen said...

I don't think I've ever seen that one before, it's beautiful.

cityquilter grace said...

great idea about the orphan block color scheme...and this block looks like a winner!

Tanya said...

Beautiful block! But how precise. I let my own quiltkeemosabe (Mrs. F) do my pattern making for me.