23 September, 2016

Tightly Woven


Today's my birthday~ yep, they just keep coming!
I received this beautiful handmade birthday card from my friend Julie in yesterday's mail. Julie is a blogging friend, we've never met in person but we share many, many things in common and have spoken on the phone on numerous occasions; we're almost like long-distance sisters. Julie lives in Tennessee and we will meet... hopefully before more birthdays roll around, although that keeps happening faster and faster!  This is a very small world that we live in; God has us all woven together in a web made up interconnected strands of love and friendship, all part of His plan that we can never fully understand but that we can accept through faith. So, back to this lovely birthday card. I turned the card over to find a label attached to the back.
The sender had no way of knowing that this is the very church where my daughter-in-law's Daddy currently serves as pastor! One of my favorite columns to read in Guideposts magazine has always been "God's Mysterious Ways".  There is always an article that proves how God is present in an otherwise unexplainable occurrence. I find these stories to be affirming, they warm my heart. This card is one of those occurrences in my own life.  Small world? Yes, indeed, it is! I am deeply grateful to be part of God's tightly woven web!
Life is good!

10 comments:

Janet O. said...

Cool. Reminds me of the saying, "Coincidence is when God works a miracle and prefers to remain anonymous."

Jacqueline said...

Happy Birthday. And yes, God does work in mysterious ways.

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday!

Carole said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your special day! Heck, celebrate the whole month! Cheers!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Happy Birthday dear friend! I must tell our friend Pat about this - her mother was part of the quilt ministry in that church many years ago and she was the one who rescued the fragile quilt top fragments from which your card and others were made many states away and many years later.

mountain gal said...

Hi Mrs. Goodneedle....My mother, Jean, lived on Anna Maria Island for almost 50 years and was a member of Roser Memorial Church for most of that time. She worked with the church's quilt guild as well as in the thrift shop. Members of the church would put fabric into the church's closet for the guild to use, but mom said that if the closet got full no one would put anything else into it and since they made over 100 crib quilts each year, they used a lot of fabric. So, mom would take the fabric home and store it at her house so there was room in the closet for more. On several occasions she found quilt tops for twin or full sized quilts, but they were old and too fragile to become crib quilts, so she kept them in her closet with the rest of the fabric for the crib quilts....I guess waiting to see what could become of them. When she died, my sister and I sent all of the other fabric and some of her personal "stash" back to the church. But we kept the quilt tops knowing that they probably couldn't be used by the quilt guild. The one on your card is one I gave to Julie for helping me find homes for the others. It is truly amazing that you have a personal link to this church. Mom died in June of 2012 and Gary Batey was the pastor at that time. Feel free to share this with the church. I'm sure they too would be amazed. Blessings, Pat

rondiquilts said...

Happy Birthday! Love hearing stories like this.

Rondi

jude's page said...

Happy Birthday, and once again, more great sentiments, thankyou.

quiltmom anna said...

Love Julie's card- hope that it is a very happy Birthday for you and the beginning of a wonderful year spent doing all the things that you love- time with loved ones especially those beautiful grand babies and creating more beautiful quilts. With warmest wishes, Anna

Tanya said...

Happy birthday! You certainly don't look like you are getting any older since I've been one of your blog friends!