15 May, 2017

Light Duty? Really?

The new processional cross, at Grace Lutheran Church,
 used for the first time on Easter Sunday.
Yesterday was Mother's Day, I hope that yours was a blessed one. Ours certainly was, although it was the first one since my husband's mother entered the Church Triumphant, we missed her greatly. Since her death last November we had been considering many options for the use of funds generously given in her memory to our church. The purchase of a processional cross seemed to be exactly the right item. Mom's entire life was one spent following God, she was an exemplary model of Godly life; just thinking about all eyes on the cross at the beginning and ending of each worship service seemed like the best and most fitting memorial to her. Okay, a processional cross it was! I was given information by our pastor as to the appropriate size, style and type of base needed for it to stand in. Taking all of those items into account I called the church supply store to place the order, I had a few questions of my own: I was unsure of the size base needed, there was a wide discrepancy in prices. I was told that there were "light" and "heavy" duty crosses, the one we were ordering, 72", would be considered "heavy duty" and required the larger base. I laughed, out loud, I couldn't help it. The woman on the other end asked what was so funny. I explained that regardless of the size I couldn't ever think of any cross being referred to as "light duty", they're all heavy duty in my estimation regardless of size. She agreed. "You know", she went on, "I have never thought about that descriptive term in regard to the cross before now" she explained, "but I don't believe I can ever use it again". We purchased the larger base. 
The cross was dedicated to her memory during our worship service two weeks ago. It gives us great joy and immeasurable comfort to gaze upon the cross at worship and remember Mom. We will always miss her, not just on Mother's Day, but every day. She lives on-- in us, through us, and for us in a myriad of ways. This processional cross, a heavy duty one purchased in her memory, is yet one more occasion to remember her and to give thanks to God for her life, her example and her witness.
Life is Good!

Up next: "Wrapping It Up"

8 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Perfect.

Ann Parks said...

What a lovely way to honor your mother-in-law!

rondiquilts said...

Beautiful.

Rondi

jude's page said...

Love sentiments, I especially love how you relate daily happenings to a message that we need to hear. Thankyou

Quiltdivajulie said...

I agree with Nancy -- Perfect!

Quilting Babcia said...

It is perfect.

Needled Mom said...

It is beautiful and I think your "light duty" comment was perfect.

cityquilter grace said...

seems fitting for her heavy duty devotion to God and her family....and the heavy duty legacy of family she left....