26 May, 2017

Wrapping It Up

I'm down to quilting the last few rows of blocks in this quilt: "Jackstones". It's been on the rails for a very long time; so long, in fact, that I have removed it and replaced it three times already to quilt pantographs on other quilts while it languished! It really is way beyond time that this one gets wrapped up. I don't know about you but I feel a particular sense of urgency at this time of year, a push to get things done, wrap up loose ends and complete tasks. I believe it goes back to all those years of being a student. The month of May signals "end of year" like nothing else in my mind, that signal increases in frequency and volume with each passing day in the month. Just thinking about term papers being due, final exams and end-of-year this or that can still elicit a cold sweat, even after all these decades. With increased age I am keenly aware now, more than ever, of the all-too-swift pace of time passing; easily gauged through the rocket-like growth of my own grandchildren. There's no time like now; right now! "Wrap it up, finish the job, get it done" echoes in my head, "there are new challenges on the horizon". We were invited to a few "end of year" programs for Gregory and Lynnleigh at their respective schools (didn't school only just begin last week?).  They were both adorable, naturally.
Lynnleigh, age 4
Gregory, age 6

Back to the job at hand, only a few more rows. "Wrap it up, finish the job, get it done"... almost there!
None of us know how much time we have; but I, for one, know that I don't want to spend forever quilting on just one quilt! There's simply too many other things that I want to try and need to get done. I am thankful for this ingrained "end-of-year" urgency that not-too-gently propels me forward, presses me onward; yep, it's high time increase that final effort and wrap things up! Summer (and all the fun and adventure that one word implies) awaits; and beyond that there are newer, bigger, mountains to climb! I'm sure you remember that feeling too: the giddy excitement of what's to come.

Life is Good!
Up next: "Twirl, Girl, Twirl!"

4 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

when i moved last year and unpacked all that fabric and patterns, i felt the same sense of urgency....time does pass far too quickly for all i'd like to do...

Carolyn said...

I understand the urgency to get things done! To date for 2017 I have finished 20 of my UFOs and helped friends by quilting 10 of theirs with 3 more to go. I have my oldest ufo staring at me and I will finish it!

Lindah said...

Ohh, your grands are so adorable; I could just sit and look at their photos all day.
But, oh my, the time passes so quickly. My old flooded out kitchen has been replaced with a beautiful new one; done/finished/functional this past Tues. Things/stuff are nearly put back in place. I now have no excuse for loitering in front of the 'puter screen.
God is good all the time. (There's that word again --time.)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Looking forward to celebrating your finish of Jackstones in the very near future!